Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

virgin 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Hi folks

I have just heard from my shop guy that my new Stingray 5 should land in my hands next week.

I have always been a four string player and have a gig next weekend. Question to you is - should I just jump in and take my 5'er to the show, or should i wait and get used to the new arrangement for a few weeks.

I have had heaps of varying advice on how quickly you can get used to the 5-string, some say its hard, some say easy.

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    heck bring it and a 4 to the show. it took me a long time to find a five i was comfortable with "feel" wise. once i found one i discovered that i could play it without much thought. You will suffer from "string confusion" from time to time - :eek: - but it won't be as bad as you think. I was gigging with mine the 1st week i bought it.

3. yay - thats the answer i wanted!!

I play a fender jazz, though, so will the neck affect my playing, or should i just throw caution to the wind and warn the other lads that i won't play as many correct notes this time??

Haha, actually, the guitarist will probably appreciate me playing like cr*p because it will bring me down to his level (i know, bragging...)

Im really looking forward to the 5, because I hate the sound of the D note - its got no guts on a 4

JT will be nodding and smacking his forehead at me, and i deserve it too...

4. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    This is one of those head/heart issues. My head advises you to wait until you are used to using a 5 string on the songs in your set. If you jump in without practice you may find yourself reluctant to really play on the B string. This could start a few bad habits which might lead you down the smooth, well-trodden path of the 4+1 player. Your B string may become an expensive thumb rest.
    My heart advises you to go for it! What use is a new instrument,cab, amp, toy, whatever, unless you have the balls to employ it in a live setting. Take your chances, make your mistakes and have a great time!
    Ask yourself this- if you have a performance full of misplaced fingers and repeated off notes are you going to sweat bullets all night, lose your confidence and potentially die of shame, or are you going to laugh it off and enjoy the experience of adapting to something new?
    There's your answer.

5. Very wise answer Akito.

I do not want to be a 4+1 player, and my B string is certainly not going to be a thumbrest - i want those extra low notes badly.

Since my bass has taken 4 months now to arrive, I have spent every waiting day visualising the fretboard with those new notes, but its clearly going to be different actually playing it.

I hear you, my head says no, but my heart says yes. Surely, IvanMike is right - take both my MM and Jazz and if i get lost on the MM, then I can just pick up the Jazz and its all cool

Just have to buy another stand - damn those accesories!!

6. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Why don't you get a rack for all those basses? That way you have extra spaces for any other additions ;)