1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vivaldi Cello Sonatas for ABRSM exams??

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by simonlittle, Jan 7, 2012.

1. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Amps
    Hello folks.
    This might be a rather dull post. A couple of my classical bass students are doing ABRSM exams and I need to get hold of the Vivaldi Cello sonatas (Grades Vi, VII & VIII).
    The ABRSM syllabus suggests the Bärenreiter complete sonatas edition, which is a rather hefty and pricey tome, and I was wondering whether the Schirmer Six sonatas version would suffice?
    Are the two versions particularly different? I would only ever need the first six sonatas anyway.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated :bassist:

2. I have no experience with the Barenreiter, but the Schirmer editions are the ones I've always used for the Vivaldi sonatas.

3. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Ah... I thought they'd be pretty standard as I have Schirmer editions for some of the other set pieces for the ABRSM exams. In the end I found a cheaper source (Foyles) for the Barenreiter edition so just ordered that one...

4. simonlittle

simonlittle

Jan 22, 2008
    West London
    Hi Will. Are the Schirmer versions mainly in tenor clef? Turns out the Barenreiter edition is very tenor clef heavy...