Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

voices

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Rimas, Oct 29, 2003.

1. So im tryin to figure out if im crazy or if i really am hearing voices. The good ol; acoustic image clarus and bag end s15b is feedin me radio!! Man, last week i was gettin annoyed by 60 hz hum and thinkin about getting a power conditioner. How can i get rid of the radio broadcast?:eek:

2. Your not alone,
    I had a EB bass cab feed me a Radio Station from St. Louis once. Come to find out it was the Cord I was using from the Amp to the Cab. Weirded me out to...

Dave

3. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Quite often RF interference comes from a loose or otherwise imperfect connection.

I am a firm believer in spraying connectors and jacks with a good quality contact cleaner at least once or twice a year. Since I moved down the Joisey Shore I have witnessed the direct effect of virtually invisible corrosion can have on contacts-- I've had PA speaker jacks "go dead", completely blocking 200-400 watts of power. While it wasn't as bad further away from the ocean atmosphere, it still can cause problems, and these direct experiences have really driven the point home.

It also made me a disciple for Speakon connectors, which are self-wiping, unlike phone plugs which allow corrosion to build up.

The inserted hyperlinks will take you to some suggestions.

Caig Labs makes some top quality stuff, but even the Radio Shack stuff can do the job. Just make sure it can't harm plastic, which some earlier types could; most the contemporary stuff is ok. I've recently picked up a large can cheap from MCM Electronics that I use for routine speaker jack jobs and band equipment, and it does the job. The Caig Deoxit is a little more expensive.

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    There is a 2 block area downtown here where everyone gets a radio station on their amp. It doesn't matter what brand of amp you have. Dave's right, the cord is acting as an antenna.
    Radio Shack's RF choke cut it down to a manageable level for me. It's just a square of ferrite material that you wrap your patch cord around and locate it as close to the amp as you can. MCM, or maybe Mouser, I forget, has some cute little chokes that clip on your cord, much neater.
    I recently had the 60hz hum problem too and found it was the cord. It was brand new (not cheap either) and measured fine with an ohmmeter, but, you know....
    Anyway, good luck.

5. As long as Ive got a thread goin.. this problem might be related. Every once in a while when i turn on the AI i get a crashing sound.. do any of you know what this might be from? Should I just try some contact cleaner, or replace the fuse or someting?

6. Use contact cleaner on all of the input jacks, not just the ones you use. This is a pretty common AI ailment.