1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vol pot drops suddenly in volume.. did i wire wrong?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pattyløve, Aug 17, 2012.

1. pattyløve

pattyløve

Apr 7, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Engineering, D'addario
    So i've rewired my jazz bass to have a 3 way switch, master vol and master tone (as opposed to the regular VVT).

While i was at it, i changed the pots over for gotoh ones i had in my parts box. However my volume pot now drops to barely any output when i turn it anything less than full. I understand the difference between linear and logarithmic pots. However all my other basses and guitars ive used these pots in (i bought a batch of them) sound perfectly fine and behave like normal log pots.

My question is, could it be there was just one mis-labelled pot in amongst my log pots? Or may the way i've wired it have caused my volume pot to act this way?

2. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    And exactly how would we know what is in your parts bin?? ;)

Could be that you have a linear pot or even a reverse log pot. A little detective work with an Ohmmeter would answer the question. Or you could try swapping the outer leads (pickup wire and ground wire). If it is a reverse log pot that would fix it but the knob will now rotate in the wrong direction and you probably won't be happy with that in the long run. But at least you will know.

Ken

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Does the volume drop suddenly when the tone control is on 10? Or only if you turn it down a little?

4. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Disconnect one end. Verify end to end resistance is correct.

Then measure resistance from wiper to disconnected end while slowly sweeping pot.

An analog ohm meter would be best, but a digi will do.