Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume leveling problem

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Crash Course, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I am using my Deluxe Jazz (Active EQ) to record onto my computer. I am going from my amp to my computer sound card. The software I am using is CMuzys. The problem I am having is this, when I record, the volume level goes up and down. I don't have any problems when I use a passive bass (Like my P). I have tried rolling off all the eq settings and still have the same problem only lower volumes. Any suggestions?

:help: :confused: :crying:

2. Are you using the DI from your amp or are you mic'ing your amp? Maybe try a different DI, coutryman, sansamp, avalon, etc...I'm not familiar with the software you're using, sorry.

3. Amp has a built in DI. Have not tried a different DI but that is my next step.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Describe "up and down". Maybe you just need to use some compression. Active basses can sometimes have greater dynamic range than passive basses.

5. When I am playing, the sound coming from my amp is level. But, when I play the recording back, the slightest inflection on my part makes the volume go up almost to clip. It really gets bad when I hold a note for any extended amount of time. Compression may also be the answer.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Compression would help, but it sounds to me as if your amp's DI is working as a gain stage, or otherwise affecting your bass's volume. I'd find a separate one, and use it. I'm suspicious of built-in direct outs.

And good luck with Muzys, I found that program to be, um, clunky to use, although very powerful for a freebie :)

7. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005