Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume pedal for passive/active bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jhiggy, Mar 4, 2005.

1. I'm looking for a volume pedal, but I'm sort of stumped. Many pedals describe that they are for either a passive or active instrument, some say nothing about that at all, but none say they're for both.

My question is, does it matter, and if so why? I play a G&L L-2000, which is active and passive, as well as occasionally playing my friend's Fender Jazz (passive). So I need one that handles both.

Also, what's the difference between an audio and a linear pot? Most have audio, but the Morley (Little Alligator) has a linear. This is the one I'm thinking about getting, so if you have any comments, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks for any help!

2. Yep Ernies the way to go. :)
    Dirk

3. I probably am, but I don't see the question being answered- the pedals are all described as passive-friendly. I'm interested in this question as well- is there a volume pedal that works well for both passive & active instruments?

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    That is an AGE old question, and the only answer I can give you is this:

You will need to run both basses into a preamp of sorts (radial bassbone, or other) then into a volume pedal made for active instruments - like the 25k Ernie Ball...

The reason is this, a 25K pot in the active one will not only barely work on a passive bass - it will destroy your tone. And a 250k pot will thin out the tone of your active bass, and effect the overall volume of your bass...

Thems the facts

Alex

5. Any info on the Little Alligator? I really like the minimum-maximum knobs, as sometimes I just need to move up from one volume to another.

Also, can I use a volume pedal in the "effects loop" of my amp? I don't use any other pedals.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Through use of an Ernie Ball, I entirely disagree with this, repectfully. I use (or have used): a Spector NS2000/5, Galveston 7, ESP M-IV, Peavey Koa RSB, Schecter Diamond series, ESP/LTD F-255, and a Epiphone T-bird all through my Ernie Ball volume pedal. I have never found tone or sound quality to be lost on any bass - either active or passive - using it either. This is just my expirence, but I think it says a lot about it. For further proof, my cousin who I played in a few bands with, used one with his Strats, Ibanez's and Rics, and as far as I could tell, he never lost any tone. He still uses it, so I can IM/call him and see what his actual findings are if I felt any reason too. Hope this helped,

Ray

7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Then how come EB makes separate volume pedals for active and passive instruments smart guy??? As does Boss, Proel, Besbico, and about every other company than manufactures volume pedals... And also, its ELECTRONICALLY makes sense (on a pure electrical engineering standpoint). Its a matter of impedance, low and high...

:rolleyes:

Alex

ps. maybe your ears need tuning?.. ;)

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    No need to be a jerk, but since the gloves are now off, I think playing for 9 years tells me that what sounds good to my ears holds enough weight. And as I said, it was I. M. O. You know what that means? IN MY OPINION. It works, for me, plain and simple. YMMV. No need to be so obtuse to things.

Ray

P.S. that was also through my use, and I just tried it again. Maybe I should DI record it to show you? Hmm...

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe your ears need tunning.

Im on the same page as Bad Habit Bassist.

Ive tested the EB passive version and it works great on active and passive basses. Maybe the other one is meant to work better with actives, but I cant imagine it working any better than the standard already does.

Specs can say that 1+1=3, but if my ears say its 1+1=2, then thats the one Im going to belive.

To the origional poster.

Try them out and see for yourself.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey Nick Man, you read Gard's thread on the almost-mini-GTG @ B.C. next saturday? Dave LaRue's going to be there, 2 pm. Thought I'd tell ya if ya missed it and would be able to make it (though it's a bit of a drive for you).

Ray

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm also interested in the little alligator volume pedal has anybody tried it, also has anybody heard about visual pedals reissuing the visual volume pedal.

Cheers

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If I get a chance I'll compare the Ernie Ball to the Little Aligator at work this week. I know that Id rather have the Ernie Ball just because it doesnt require a batery, but Ill see what else I can find.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used the Morley PVO. Worked with actives and passives with no problem, no tone loss. Only got rid of it because it took up half my pedalboard.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Would it matter where you placed it say I was using a passive bass with the Ernie ball active volume pedal but it was after the 9 effects i have in my chain would that be ok or would i still be better using the passive one.

Cheers

15. I play a passive Warwick Corvette Standard and an active G&L L-2000. Either of the two forementioned basses gets no tone-loss at all imho when I use my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal (mono, 6166 model).

16. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    The new VV pedal should be available sometime next month. At least, that was the timeframe I was given a couple weeks ago.

17. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Interesting...

EB makes their pedals and specifies their use for active or passive instruments- 250K Ohm resistance for Passive and 25K Ohm for Active..

http://www.ernieball.com/site/content/products_frame_pedals.php

It would seem that much like plugging your active bass into your passive amp/pre-amp input, it will work okay using a passive volume pedal with an active bass (or vica versa) but it will work better if you matched them.

This begs the question- becasue of this, should your Volume pedal always be first in the effects chain so it doesn't encounter an already boosted/cut signal impedence from other effects?

Ted

18. Thanks a lot man. Where I am, there are no music stores. Closest ones are at least 30 minutes away and have very limited stocks...

19. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Just thought I would add to this old thread and say that I just tested an Ernie Ball VP Jr (the one designed for passives) with my active bass, and didn't notice any difference in signal at all. I was using a true bypass loooper to test this, and i couldn't tell any difference when the VP was engaged.