Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Volume Pedal problem!!....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Hello all.

I have an Ernie Ball VPJr.. I was playing in the middle of a set and I volume into the intro of a song and there was no sound. So I went back and forth on the pedal a couple of times and it came in with about 65% volume.

Then later in the set, I volumed into a song again and this time it had about 150% volume! (well it seemed like that amount...)

I have retired it for repair, but before I dismantle it or take it to some hideously expensive and overrated guitar shop, any thoughts?

I was thinking maybe it needs a new pot....

Cheers
    Rhys

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    New pot is a possibility, but does anyone know if the VPJr. has a rack and pinion system like the Crybabies? I'm sure it does and there's a possibility that the r&p system separated. Sounds like it would cause something like what you're describing to happen.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    It's got a string inside it that attaches to both ends of the moving pedal; the pot has a long metal cylinder-shaped attachment that the string wraps around several times.

When you rock it back, the string pulls one way and rotates the pot shaft in that direction, and when you rock it forward it goes the opposite direction.

4. If the string is making positive contact throughout the entire sweep, then it's a pot. I assume youve had it awhile and its beyond exchangeability? Still, shouldnt cost much to have the pot replaced.
    Good Luck!

5. My father fixed it for me. Good ol Dad!
    The screw holding the pot in place was loose and causing the pot to not rotate properly; part of the back and forth mechanism was corroded and jamming, and a few wires fell off when he took it apart!

Cost me nothing, but Dad said that it was the worst soldering job he had seen.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There are two versions of the EB VP Jr., one has a 25K pot and the other has a 250K pot. The former is for active instruments and the latter for passive. I've found that most stores around here only carry the 250K version. Do you have the correct one for your application? Also, check all your cables before you give up on the pedal.

7. Kudos to Dad! Now Im off to try and replace a broken LED light on a Boss CEB-3 Chorus pedal! :scowl:

8. Well that was easy! The operation was a complete success! Ill post a thread about it maybe it will help another some day.