1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by crjenkins, Apr 26, 2009.

1. crjenkins

crjenkins

Jan 12, 2009
    Nashville!!!
    I had a question. What would you guys recommend to kill or slow the attack of a bass? I was thinking that a volume pedal would give me most control, but are there any specific effects to do this effect? Also I would love some recommendations for volume pedals

Thanks all!

2. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    The boss slow gear does what you're asking, but is discontinued and costs a lot. I think berringer makes acopy, and BYOC has kits for a clone called the lazy sprocket. I've never actually used one, so I can't really coment on how well they work.

For just volume pedals, I like the ernie ball VP JR.

3. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    You can use envelope-controlled pedals like the Boss Slow Gear, BYOC Lazy Sprocket and Guyatone Slow Volume. The Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth also includes a slow attack mode.

4. i post this in i think every effects related thread.. korg ax3000b..has a slow attack setting that works awesome.

as for volume pedals, the visual sound one is pretty neato.

5. crjenkins

crjenkins

Jan 12, 2009
    Nashville!!!
    thanks guys :)

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The Visual Sound Visual Volume pedal is indeed an awesome pedal. Had I still planned on going to a stereo setup, I'd be keeping mine instead of selling it. I will probably buy another later on in the future.
    The Ernie Ball is hands down the most rugged pedal being solid aluminum, but if the string gets broken, be prepared to curse and yell and scream for 20-30 minutes trying to get the new one on. :meh: Two people, two needle nose pliers, and a spring pull will make life a little easier, but not much.

7. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    the boss volume (500 series) pedals are great. solid, rugged, and no string!
    they have a minimum setting pot on the side, and would probably be bombproof.
    in terms of slow gear type pedals. I have the guyatone and the behringer, and IMO the behringer is far better. the 'ramping speed' is far more useable, and the threshold control seems to work better on the behringer ( i can't believe i've just given a behringer pedal a positive review! - i must say though that it is the only one of theirs that i own!)

8. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Really, the behringer is alright? these behringer guys are coming out quite cheap... I might just get one to fool around with, I've been GASing for a slow gear clone for some time now.

9. On the subject of volume pedals:

I've read some terrible reveiws of the Visual Volume in terms of construction/reliability - is that an older model perhaps?

Also, do volume pedals essentially go from 0-10? Meaning, having it cranked will give you the volume you would have otherwise, if the pedal were not in your signal chain? Or is it possible to configure a volume pedal so that it can also function as a boost beyond the volume you would have otherwise?

Any in general, if people want to chime in on their favorite and why, that would be awesome. Primarily I'm looking to get one for fade in/volume swells.

EDIT: And what is this string you are referring to, TheMutt?

10. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Putting my EB Volume Jr back together was seriously one of the most annoying things ever, the frigging string would not stay on the roller on the bar at the bottom of the pedal, took like 4 tries. That said it is a great tool for cutting out your attack, making awesome swells.

11. four2oh

four2oh

Mar 29, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I use a BYOC Lazy Sprocket (Slow Gear clone) on my board.. love it for the swells, works great after a Whammy for that faux string.

12. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    There, I just did it.. impulsively ordered the behringer clone... have I done something stupid?

damn GAS :(

13. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Some volume pedals can go to 11. ;)

I believe some (if not all?) active volume pedals can do this. I haven't messed with the Morley PVO+, but it has a minimum volume knob... so I think it can probably boost. However, it probably also means you couldn't simultaneously use it to swell from "zero" - it would be "rhythm/lead", "zero/unity", or something in between.

I do know that Visual Sound Visual Volume can boost your volume in active mode. It's an advertised feature, too.

Passive volume pedals can't boost your volume - they're no different than the volume pots on your bass. And no, the Ernie Ball volume pedal for active basses is NOT an active volume pedal. It's just a passive pedal with an impedance value that's better suited for active basses.

14. MysticBoo, thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

15. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I have seen a few issues that people have had with the new ones. Primarily because the stock factory settings for this pedal are set to unity volume halfway up, and the treadle tension is very high and makes for difficult volume swells. A few easy to do adjustments and the problem is solved however.

Active pedals usually have a setting for extra gain (a feature that passive pedals do not have) and might even have a setting for minimum volume. If that is the route you are going, the Visual Volume is an awesome pedal due to the led's telling you how far on the treadle you are. It is, however, bigger than most volume pedals.

The Ernie Ball volume pedal family all use a spring-tensioned kevlar cord attached at the front and back of the treadle to turn a potentiometer. Ordinarily, these pedals are great. If/when that cord should break, be ready to be annoyed for about half an hour.

16. Man, I love this forum.

Thanks, TheMutt. The EB sounds more up my alley. I basically want it to go from 0-10 for volume swells, and size is always an issue as well.

Those strings though? Do they break often? Or is it more of a rarity?

Thanks again!

17. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    If size is an issue, be prepared to be annoyed by ALL volume pedals. AFAIK, they don't come in compact sizes. :D

18. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I've had mine for 2 years and it doesn't look like it is about to break, that wasn't my problem last time, this little hex nut came loose and it was slipping, I could have fixed it without taking it apart, but I had to take it apart to figure that out because I'm dumb like that. The string is VERY sturdy.

19. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The string shouldn't break all that often. I had to replace a string because I bought one with a broken string for $30. The guy was too lazy to replace it, and just bought a new one.

The EBVP comes in a slightly smaller size (EBVP Jr.). IIRC DOD and Morley used to make compact volume pedals as well. The trade-up of making small volume pedals is that they may be too small for your feet.