Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vox t-60

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plexibass, Dec 23, 2005.

1. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    anyone out there have a vox t-60? any opinions. how loud can you push them, etc......thanks and happy holidays!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Darn good amp, very solidly built (even though it is China made) and looks good. It's got a nice vintagey tone to it, not too modern (nice change from my usual GK rig) and frankly, I use it for smaller blues gigs, jazz, etc. for the vintage vibe.

It can get pretty loud, it's definately loud enough to keep up with a 6 piece jazz band without too much effort.

Any more particular questions?

3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    There's one at a local music store that I've been trying to keep myself from buying. I think it's a steal for the price they're asking.

From what I can tell after spending some time with it, it's a great amp. I've played a bunch of different basses through it (Bongo 5, spector legends, MIM and MIA Fender Jazzes, and a Squire Bronco) and it's sounded great. I haven't really "cranked it," but I've had it pretty loud; and it always sounded like it was ready for more. Really warm sound, and the Bassilator option is really nice too (I think that's what it's called). It adds a lot of fatness to your sound. You can even get a little grit from the amp if you want, it's not overwhelming... just about right IMO. Whenever I'm playing it, I'm amazed that there's just a single 12" speaker in there. Plus, there's the option of powering another cab with it.

I can try and check it out again sometime next week if they still have it if there's anything specific you're interested in about the amp.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, it's a steal for the price.

However, plugging in an external speaker disconnects the internal 12".

5. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    oh... :meh:

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, it's my only complaint about the amp. However, I'd say it's a pretty conservative 60W rating.

7. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    thanks guys. i'm thinking of getting one for the smaller gigs. my svt and 4x10 are just too much sometimes. i'm and ampeg guy but i used to have a 1966 super beatle and i really miss the "vox tone". i'm also thinking of the 100watt ampeg combo also. lots of decisions to make.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which Ampeg Combo? Are you looking at the BA115? This was the competition for my Vox T-60, but I got a chance to try the BA115 and was anything but impressed. Sounded sterile and I felt that the 100W rating was very generous. Not the Ampeg quality you'd expect IMO.

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    REALLY!?!?!?, i didnt think that i would have ever heard that about an ampeg product. honestly if anyone has any suggestions on a good combo i'm all ears. i'm not a "tone freak" or anything. i just want something about 100w

10. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I do remember that about the Ampeg BA115. I never felt it was really THAT loud. I got drowned out quite often. Plus you have to account for the hiss.

I'd check out some Ashdown stuff. I demoed some of their cabs/combos on Wednesday and was VERY impressed.

Otherwise, the eden nemesis combos are quite nice too. Nicely priced as well.

I think the Vox is a great option though.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It wasn't a loud 100W and Opaque is right, there was a lot of hiss.

Luckilly I sold it for what I bought it for.

12. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i'm glad you mentioned ashdown. that is one of the companies i've been interested in ever since john entwistle endorsed them. wow, i'm still bummed about the ampeg though, a lot of people are recommending the vox however. i used to have a 1966 super beatle that i am kicking myself for having gotten rid of for my svt. i really like vox.

13. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    any opinions on the b15 portaflex?

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, this ain't really the Vox you're used to. Solid state Chinese made, but it still has the whole British vintage vibe. Sounds good.

Much better than the budget Ashdowns.

15. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i guess that i need to be a little more specific about what i'm looking for. i've been playing svt's now for almost 20 years. i love love love them......i just want something different. my dan armstrong basses all have kent armstrong pu in them. VERY HIGH OUTPUT PU'S. i like a lot of treble and a little low end, weird yes i know but.....i have never been an amp guy, just whatever was at the gig or avavilable i used. so i guess any suggestions on a ballsy combo amp that you guys like [no GK...sorry] i really appreciate the suggestions. i also hope that everyone has a fantastic new year!!!!