1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WA TB12 with bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by villis, Aug 10, 2019.

1. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Hello guys i just bought WA TB12 and i am considering to rec my bass using this chain

Bass > hi z input WA TB 12 xlr out > hi z input Avalon U5 line out trs cable > return input of Audient iD 22

Ok is this is a good choice to use the preamp of WA TB12 and from Avalon only as DI and then bypassing Audient's pre ?

2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I personally would just try the tb12 into the audio interface using an XLR to balanced 1/4" cable. I do that same thing with different mic pres and audio interface now.

3. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Ok i will try it! Bypassing audient`s pre or using her di?

4. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I'm not familiar with the I/O on that particular interface... i use the line in on mine. I wouldn't mess with the DI input for this situation, the preamp is your DI.

villis likes this.
  5. If you only want to experiment, o.k., but otherwise it is an absurd use of the WA12. You use a mic-preamp with a Hi-Z-input as a DI. The job of a DI is to transform a Hi-Z signal to mic-level. This is exactly what the WA12 is doing, but it is doing even more: 'cause it is a mic preamp it transforms the mic-level signal to line level.
    The Avalon is a bit special, 'cause it is doing exactly the same: it offers not just mic-level as most DIs, but line level too. So both of your units are doing exactly the same. Only the WA12 has - as a mic preamp - no mic-level output. And the Avalon - as a DI - has no line level input.

Only line-level comes out of the XLR-out of the WA12. To put this line level signal into another DI into an input that expects a pure guitar or bass signal (Hi-Z) doesn't make any sense.

If you want to use the sound of the Avalon + the TB12 in your chain, it goes like this: bass into Avalon. Then the mic-level output of the Avalon into the mic-in of the TB12. Or the line-level output of the Avalon into the TRS-input on the front of the TB-12 that is switched to line (simply press the line button on the right of the Hi-Z button on the frontplate.) The Avalon should always be first in the chain, 'cause it simply doesn't have a line input, but all of the outputs of the TB12 are line level. I only own the TB12, not the Avalon. If I understand the through TSR output on the front correctly this gives Hi-Z level output, so if this is the case you could although use the Hi-Z input of the TB12 if you're using the through output on the Avalon.

Why did you buy the TB12? You don't seem to have the basic knowledge what a mic-preamp or / and a DI are doing?
    If you don't have a second use for the WA12 - using it as a mic-preamp for vocals for example - you kind of own two rather expensive tools that do the same in a different way. Might have made more sense to - for example - buy the WA76 from Warm Audio. Just saying...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Ok i got it! I experience problems with my avalon... something is defected and this is the second time doing that issues so i was thinking of selling it and thats why tb came. But then i want to ask here the forum to see if these both units can combine somehow! So from what i get right now i am thinking after fixing and selling avalon maybe pair the tb12 with wa76 :)

7. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Thank you guys for the knowledge!

8. That is a very good idea. I first bought the WA76. You need line level for the WA76, so I got a mic-preamp from GAP and later the TB12. The WA76 - this is just my personal taste and experience - had a far bigger impact on my sound than the preamps. After buying the WA76 I had the impression after many years of playing - that I sound like on a record. This said: I'm not into amp sounds or distortion etc. at all. I just like to plug in directly with a bit of transformer sound and this is what the WA76 besides very fast compression gives me.
    Compared to most footpedal compressors - maybe with the exception of the Cali76 - the WA76 sounds much better.

villis likes this.
  9. villis

villis

Mar 20, 2012
    Greece (Xanthi)
    Yes i am at the same boat, only recording direct no mics and cabs!

Now i am using a plugin compressor MJUC Overview with very good results but i want WA76 for sure!

When i will buy wa76 you must tell me everything you know! hahaha

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019