1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Waffeling between 3 used cabs - Decision made.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stflbn, Feb 25, 2008.

1. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Peavey 4x10tvx 4 ohm
    Carvin 4x10 8ohm
    Carvin 1x15 (unloaded) which I'll load possibly with an eminence 15" 4 ohm.

Currently I'm using an Eden 2x10 xlt 8 ohm with a Stewart Power Amp. I'm looking to expand options looking toward larger rooms. I'd planned on a 4 ohm 4x10 or 1x15 so I could chain with the eden and work the bigger cab harder (the stewart will handle 2ohms)

So here I am waffeling and confused.

Carvin 4x10 8ohms - Will have to run it and the Eden on own Channels rather then Bridged. Assuming it would be sweeter sounding then the Peavey. Volume isn't anywhere near problem for what I'm doing now, but never know down the road.

Peavey 4x10 4ohms - Can run it bridged and chained to the Eden 2x10. Assuming it will be punchier and tighter then the carvin.

Carvin 1x15 shell with my added 15" 4ohm speaker. - This should move air and be thumpy and can be bridged and chained. But not necessarily used as easily on it's own as say a 4x10.

Thoughts, suggestions?

2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    eh, tough call. Why are those your only options? I wouldn't be able to choose between those options unless I knew what was lacking in your sound that you're trying to remedy.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Those are what options are readily available locally to me at this time.

And where I won't be using the extra cab alot I'm set to do it on a budget and local.

If I went 1x15 I'd likely dial up the highs on the 2x10 more then I currently am as everything with the eden is smooth low mids as I'm currently using it. I'm only competing with 2 acoustic guitars through a P.A. so there's ALOT of sonic room for me to work in with different sounds. Basically I'm adding the color and identity to most of the songs through different stylistic bass sounds. Which is nice... and fun... and challenging.

I guess my main question would be the difference between the 4x10 4 ohm peavey tvx, and the carvin 8 ohm 4x10 vs the given ooomph and air movement of the 1x15.

I keep twitching toward the peavey though looking long term down the road and potentially other non-acoustic gigs. Having the option of 6x10'
    s when needed seems benefitial, or a single 4x10, or the 2x10 eden. And I'm sure the 6x10's would move some air and support a B string definitely wouldn't they?

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Well, my decision is made.

I ended up falling into what I feel is a very good deal for a Avatar B210 NEO. It's 4 ohms, so I'll be losing my realistic ability to chain the two 210's together, but I'll be gaining a few things.

Existing Eden 210 one location

Avatar 4ohms when I need a bit more oomph then just the eden

Both 210's together via 2 amp channels

I'm thinking the Avatar b210 neo will be flatter then the round sounding Eden, and the Avatar will add above and below the existing Eden.

We'll see. Another deciding factor was the reduced weight, and I realized that my currently recuperating rotator cup muscle in my right shoulder probably doesn't need a 101 lb. 4x10 cabinet to jerk around.

If I need something more then the 2 2x10's down the road I can track something down quick via craigslist here in Nashville.