Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wah!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by marcuslikesbass, Feb 20, 2006.

1. marcuslikesbass

marcuslikesbass

Feb 20, 2006
    my brother has a Jim dunlop 535Q and i have a Boss ME50B multieffects unit with a wah/expression pedal in it. which will be better for slapping bass solos?

2. Try them both out to see, well hear what suits the sound you want.

Also this should be under effects not pickups and electronics. :)

3. Should be in effects.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Generally speaking, the standalone effect is usually better than the multi-fx equivalent. That doesn't work 100% of the time, but often enough.
    Having said that, in this case the me-50b might be better since I don't believe the 535Q is tuned for bass frequencies. Dunlop also make the 105Q, which is.
    As was said above, try 'em both!

5. Wah, Wah, Wah.:crying:
    Very subjective, you really must try anything you can. Some guitar wahs work great. I've used a Weeping Demon on the "bass" setting and it was cool. Had an old Dunlop Bass Crybaby that was useful for making my bass sound bad and broken.

6. Rhythmbug

Rhythmbug

Jan 22, 2006
    London UK
    my crybaby 105Q sounds a fair bit better than the wah on my GT6B, the envelope on the GT6B doesn't seem to open up as much. the advantage with the multieffect wah though is you can setup different patches with other effects like reverb & distortio.....but as far as slapbass solos, the crybaby wins easy

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Word!