Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Waiting for new Stringray 5 with double H's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Anyone buy one yet? I've always had a love / hate with my stringrays, because they're not as versatile, I think I'd rather say flexible or adjustable without that second pickup, so I took the plunge and instead of buying a Korean bass, bought an American one. Let me know what you think or if you've played one of the 2 pickup Stringrays.

Lkaye

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mine is coming next month. :)

3. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What color did you get? Where'd ya get it?

I found a white one with a white pearloid pickguard, rosewood neck and white headstock with black pickups. It's a "tux bass" that I think will be outstanding looking with my wedding gigs...Hopefully it will sound as good as it looks.

The file is just too big to download here. Any suggestions for a non techie to easily "change" the file size of the picture I have?

Larry

4. Hey Larry. I played one at Tom's. Very nice.... still could sound 100% like a Stingray with the bridge pickup, but could get much fatter with both. Quite frankly, the two humbuckers seemed a little bit overkill. I've recently seen a new model advertised that has the standard MM pickup in the bridge, and a single coil in the neck position (ala Lakland). It think that would be my choice.

That being said... the two pickup version is great, and does add a little more variability to those basses. Fit and finish, and playability were great (it was a 4 string... I still find the 5 string spacing at the bridge much too tight... but that's personal taste).

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hate to be a killjoy, but I suspect that Stingray haters will still dislike the two pup Stingray because although it has significantly more tonal options, all the options sound like a 'ray. To me, that is only to be expected. I mean, jazz basses always sound like Js, why should Stingrays be any different, however, for Stingray detractors, the new
    basses will still be labeled "one trick ponies."

6. Very good point... they definitely still sound like Stingrays... even with the additional tone options.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    See sig. I ordered it direct from EBMM through Steve "Dude" Barr.

8. steve21

steve21 Banned

Hey fig, is yours gonna be black/maple?

Does anybody even know if maple necks are available on Dual's yet?

9. doogenbomb

doogenbomb

Oct 25, 2004
    Yeah you can get maple neck's in the 2 pup models.

10. Larry Kaye

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I believe that BassCentral has a black 2 pickup 5 string SR with a maple fingerboard in stock, or at least they did as of Thursday last week for anyone interested in knowing that!!!

Lkaye

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

Pacific Blue burst, black pickguard, maple fingerboard.

12. "2006 Ernie Ball Music Man HH Stingray 5 (on order)"

not to be a jerk but it doesnt say anything about color or fingerboard. but yours does sound like its going to be Niiiiiiice looking.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The one Ken played was mine. It's a stingray, plus so much more. Highly recommended.

14. UrbanIvy

UrbanIvy

Aug 1, 2004
    San Francisco
    Just played an HH stingray 4 at guitar center and totally loved the way it sounded through a big block 750 and mesa 4x10. Really want a 5 HH w/ a maple neck.

I really love the tone and feel of stingrays in general, and the added pickup makes it a much more versatile beast.

It is correct, you can shape the tone, but it is a stingray tone. The added pickup allowed me to get a much wider variety of the tone though, if that makes sense.

Didn't think that the two humbucker pickups were overkill, just makes it a more bad ass bass. Would totally make sense to have one set up in the lakland way though with a single coil. Will keep an eye out.

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Haha, my mistake, thats on the EBMM forum that i listed the colors and crap.

><

17. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    I have a few at my shop. They are very nice and get some very interesting tone combinations. Good luck.

18. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Mine will be here in April as well :) Black Cherry Burst with maple board. I also have an HH SR4. It can come close to a burping, clanky Rick sound in position 4 and a big P bass tone in position 5 (roll back the highs a bit). I love these basses!

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think position 4 is more "P bassy" than 5, 5 reminds me of my guild B-302, a true "neck pickup" sound as opposed to the middle postion pickup of a P bass. I love position 5 for dub sounds and palm-muted lines.

20. Jaycephas

Jaycephas Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Waxhaw, NC
    I pickup up my MM SR4 HH at Guitar Center two weeks ago...it was on sale, brand-new with HSC for $900 (luckily for me, my wife was cool with my GAS attack). They were insane to sell this bass for that price. It was hanging next to a single H SR that was priced at $1,275.

I think it's called Onyx Black (very light sparkle) and has an Abalone pickguard with rosewood fretboard. I really dig this bass and it's tones. I was actually looking to get a Lakland Skyline DJ 4 or a Fender Geddy Lee, but this HH combination really caught my ear. For comparison, I have a Fender Roscoe Beck V, a KSD Proto-J 705 and my baby, a Ken Smith BSR5MW, so I have a wide variety of vintage J & 70's J to modern sounds.

With this bass, what I see as most useful is that the coil selections allows me to find just the right combination to cut through the mix with my band. I really like #2 and #3, but the #1 is that SR sound I've always liked. I would say that heavy slappers will likely not like the neck H as it is positioned close to the neck and may get in the way. But for fingerstyle guys like me, the coil combinations offer lots of options.

This bass offers more than a "one-trick pony" sound in my opinion, but you can definitely get that 'ol SR sound.