Walking Bass Lines - helpful instructional videos

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Chili_Time, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    The videos below showed up in my Youtube sidebar so I watched them since I had the day off. I have to say this was very eye opening and maybe it just clicked since I have been drilling major & minor triads so much and trying and failing to improvise decent bass lines to play with chord sheets. Anyway, after watching this video and following the guidelines I played a little and was like... hey that sounds decent! So I went to guitar pro and wrote out a walking bass line about 24 bars long over a ii V I progresion and while not great it did not make my ears bleed. If you are interested I don't think it can be explained much easier than in these videos. I'm sure it can get a lot more complicated but this video is like a gateway drug to walking bass line addiction. It has probably been linked before but throwing up here in case someone else wants to check it out.

Ramana likes this.
  2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Chili_Time likes this.
  3. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee

Thanks! I watched 1 to 4 and his explanations are great. His chord inversion explanation helped a lot. I've read this stuff before but I guess my knowledge base was not to the point where I could really begin to understand it. Good stuff to go study and practice. Love his accent.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    fearceol likes this.
  4. BassmanNate

BassmanNate

Apr 10, 2006
    Yeah, the sbl videos are what finally made waking bass click after so many years.

Ramana likes this.
  5. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Another great walking bass tutorial IMO is Todd Johnson's "Module System". In this clip he gives an over view.

Ramana and Chili_Time like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IMO: walking bass line instructors often pay too much attention to note choice and not enough to rhythm/'feel' which is especially important at tempos below 160-200 BPM. just sayin'....:)

7. Chili_Time

Chili_Time

Oct 11, 2016
    Tennessee
    @fearceol thanks for the videos. Now I need to get after working through those Dave Marks lesson exercises. I've been wood-shedding arpeggios so I'm a little way down the road and his inversion explanation made a lot of sense.

8. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    You have to learn to walk (excuse the pun ;) ) before you can run. The rhythm/feel comes later when you are comfortable with chord progressions etc. Not much use having great rhythm/feel if you don't know what notes to play. Besides..."feel" can't be taught.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i respect your opinion, but i'm glad for my own experience! the jazz drummers who taught me could recognize wrong notes, but otherwise didn't care so much...they wanted me to lay down the correct feel! that was in the beginning --- nowadays i'm teaching drummers some feel. "it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!"

also: you can spend your life trying to coax out the 'perfect notes' for yourself. to what avail without the feel? IME: the notes are easier (if know something/anything?), the feel can be liberating = try working on your feel and see if the notes don't come more easily....just sayin'! it's obviously a combination.....

good luck on your journey! :thumbsup:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022