Walking over Oliloquai valley

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Ricardo basso, Jan 24, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Hi everyone. So, Oliloquai valley. It sounds easy enough, on paper it doesn't look that frightening.
    But, I am having trouble walking over this thing convincingly.
    I don't understand the harmony, and where the sus4's are resolving to.
    I've read that it scoots around F minor and A major, I get it. Kind of.
    But E major7 b5?
    Is this another case of Real book transcriptions fitting chords over a modal tune?
    Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

2. I've never tried to play this tune, but Oliloqui Valley is one of my favorite songs of all time. Like a lot of modal tunes, it is pretty open ended so I think it allows a fair amount of creativity/interpretation. I think it's way more harmonically complex than it looks on paper. But now that I look it over, it doesn't look all that easy on paper either... You might have a look at a few other transcriptions other than the Real Book as it tends to be misleading sometimes.

Also, you might try posting in the DB forum as those guys tend to have way more experience with this type of music. I'm interested in hearing what people have to say about it.

Ricardo basso likes this.
  3. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Check this web-site:

Transcriptions
    "Oliloqui Valley" by Herbie Hancock
    Transcriptions - "Oliloqui Valley" by Herbie Hancock - submitted by HalfNelson

Ricardo basso and Spin Doctor like this.
  4. Whousedtoplay likes this.
  5. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Great, Thanks.

6. Groove Master

Groove Master Commercial User

Apr 22, 2011
    Montreal
    Author of Groove 101, Slap 101 and Technique 101
    What key are you in? First chord F7 sus4? I don't see any Maj7 b5 either

Actually after checking the Herbie transcription, it looks like the first chord of B sounds more like a Eb triad over a E bass.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
    Ricardo basso likes this.
  7. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012

8. Ricardo basso

Ricardo basso

Sep 15, 2012
    Thanks Groove master. I shall investigate further.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022