Walking/scale strategies for Well You Needn't?

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by KeyserSoze, Sep 2, 2004.

1. KeyserSoze

Feb 17, 2004
    I'd appreciate any tips on how to approach a tune such as Monk's Well You Needn't. For those unfamiliar with the tune, the head is played over alternating measures ot the I chord and the #I chord. I've seen it in the fake books as either F6 to F#6 or F7 to F#7.

My question is; in this tune (and in other situations where there area repeating, alternating measures of the I chord and the #1 chord), would one "walk" alternating between the I and #I scales, or is there a "hybrid" scale (say, incorporating a minor second and a sharp fifth) that would be used? I guess the same question would apply to soloing (on any instrument) over these changes.

Thanks in advance for your ideas on this, as well as for all the great info I have gleaned from this site.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You can bounce back and forth between the two, or ignore the second chord, or treat the second chord as a tritone sub for the V chord, get really chromatic, etc.
  3. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    One recording of Monk doing this composition has him starting the bridge from Db7.
  4. Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    As far as I know, Monk always played the bridge starting in Db. It was Miles who started the G bridge thing... and it seems to have become the convention because of the lovely Real Book.
  5. Although i'm certainly not a fan of the Real Book, we can't blame this one on it. I was playing the G bridge long before the Real Book came along.
  6. Perplexer

Sep 2, 2003
    Thanks for the perspective. Just curious if there's any prefrences out there since I have always learned towards the Db bridge.
  7. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Although the two, (G7, Db7) are pretty much the same chord; because it's Monk's tune, I guess he prefered the Db in the bass, so I'd have to go along with the composer. Of course this would depend on the group's context.
  8. bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center

Although I am reading this topic with considerable interest, I apologize for commenting off-topic and saying

I L-O-V-E your user name!

How cool is that!
  9. Actually, it's a Db6 chord. And the band better be in agreement on which bridge is going to be played, because 1)the melody is a half step lower in the Db version, and 2)the entire sequence is not the same.
  10. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    You got it, T Bal. A good friend of mine whom I've played quite a few gigs with, Steve Cardenas, came out with the transcribed versions of Monk's tunes. Great book. You probably have it.