Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Walter Becker on the new Steely D.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Mar 12, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I know Wally's been playing bass on the Dan's stuff since day one, but am I alone in thinking that his playing on the new CD, 'Everything Must Go' is far and away the best stuff he's ever done? Before, I thought his bass parts were 'OK', but every note on EMG is just kickin' in my book! Not only that, but his g***tar playing has improved by leaps and bounds since 'Two against Nature' too!

I originally got into SD because of the killer bass parts by all of the great session players on the '70s stuff, especially the almighty Chuck Rainey. I was initially disappointed to hear that WB played all of the bass on EMG, but man has my opinion changed!!! I just started listening to EMG again this week after wearing it out the first couple of months it was out, and I just felt like sharing (group hug). ;)

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A few of us rapped about EMG right after its release.
    IIRC, the drumming was a major disappointment(for me)...FWIW, I still prefer the Rainey/Anthony Jackson era. Becker's bass playing is "OK".
    Becker's guitar playing is getting better all the time.

...hug over?
    ;)

3. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Becker's playing, both bass and guitar, is exemplary. I'm a huge danfan, and have loved practically all his input. I think my favourite bassline has to be from Fagen's second solo album "Kamikiriad" on a tune called "Snowbound". It was released as bass drums vocals mix as well, and his bassplaying is so melodic!

Amazing band! Tom Barney does them real justice live. As for the drumming, while it may be held back, reports indicate 100% that Keith Carlock is incredible live and possibly the best thing to happen to Steely Dan for a very long while.

Regards

Mike

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    On EMG the bass is a bit more out front and you can hear some nice, modern-sounding tones. IMHO it's more a matter of production than a big leap in Becker's playing, which has always been plenty good (until you're forced to compare him to the likes of Rainey!). :cool:

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I love his playing on EMG, especially "Things I Miss The Most".