1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walter Woods 100 W Stereo Electroacoustic

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by digirira, Jul 21, 2008.

1. digirira

digirira

Apr 11, 2008
    This model has two entirely seperate 100 watt amps, and is linkable but not bridgeable. 8 ohms only and cannot be switched to 4 ohms.

I don't fully understand, but it seems the two preamp channels can share one speaker output, or be seperated into two different cabinets.

Since it is not bridgeable, my understanding is that it can only operated in stereo 100 watt, and not in mono 200 watt. Is this correct? Also, if it cannot be switched to 4 ohms, does it mean that I can only use it with 8 ohm cabinets? (For example, Wizzy 10 comes in 4 ohms unless specified, so I can't use them?)

I assume the electroacoustic model and the mi-100 have difference in volume level, although they are both are 100 watts. Does anyone how this works out? (Which one is louder?)

And, would 100 watts from electro-acoustic model be loud enough? (maybe with a highly efficient cab like the wizzy 10?) I play mostly jazz but also louder fusion gigs.

Thank you in advanced!

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I"m looking at Walter's sales brochure and from what I can see
    you are correct the "Lo Power" Stereo version puts out 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms

Well, I've never owned a stereo version, but as I recall when you put the amp into the stereo mode the two pre amp and power amp channels are separated totally. Perhaps, the "Pan" control affects this,
    but since I don't have that function on my amp you need to talk to someone who does or call Walter.

I just can't imagine that Walter would design the amp to work in that
    way. Hopefully, some one still has the his little users guide. Most of Walter's amps work at both 4 and 8 Ohms but this could be the exception. My guess is that the amp is a 200 watt amp in mono mode and 100 watts per channel in the stereo mode, but I could be wrong there too.
    With a Walter Woods 100 Watts in the MI series is fairly equivalent to
    the Electro-Acoustic. Keep in mind though that the MI's have analog power amplifiers and the Electro-Acoustic's have Digital power amplifiers. Added to that, you have a very different preamplifier on the Electro Acoustic that, at least to me yields a much better defined lo frequency response, especially when you turn it up. So if you are
    going to play the amp at higher volumes then the Electro Acoustic handle the low end better.

3. digirira

digirira

Apr 11, 2008
    Just spoke to walter and he confirmed that it only works with 8 ohm cabs. Also, he said it is designed for jazz guitar and wouldn't be loud enough for bass.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021