1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Walter Woods possible issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jumamoro, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Jumamoro

Jumamoro

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL
    Hello,

Could somebody out there help me, I noticed that my walter woods amp is making some "ssshhhh" noise, every time I turn up the gain knobs to 6 or more, even with out any bass plugged, currently I don't have any problem, because I don't need to much volume, but, I may have it later when I need more power.

This is a small video so you could see to the problem.

Thanks

2. You have the pregain all the way up, the bass cut all the way, and the treble all the way up :eek: (am I seeing this right?... it's hard to see since the camera is bouncing around).

It would not surprise me if you have extreme EQ on the Walter, and extreme preamp gain (even without any bass plugged in) that you would get a LOT of noice (on any amp).

Most run their Walters virtually flat, and I've never had the pregain on mine up past noon, even with passive basses. Flatten out that EQ, lower the pregain, and you should be fine.

Edit: Just for fun, I'l send you $10 US if you keep those setting with that master cranked up like you have it, and hit an open E string and post a close-up of the driver coming out of the front of the cab on Youtube!

3. Correction: with ALL FOUR volume knobs and the treble knobs cranked. :rollno:
    What you are hearing is gain, lots of it. Use less gain and less treble and you will hear less hiss. If that amp (350W) is not powerful enough for you, add a second cabinet. Trying to play with the gain cranked that high will probably end very badly for you.

4. Jumamoro

Jumamoro

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL
    Thanks for your quotes

The treble is not boosted, Here is a close up to the knobs.

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    dude you had the gain all the way up in the video.

Just set the thing EQ flat and pre gain at 11 o'clock

6. Jumamoro

Jumamoro

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL
    Even doing that, I get the "ssshh" sound if I turn up the post gain at 3 o'clock

would that be normal?

7. 3 o'clock is almost all the way up.

8. +1 Flatten the EQ out and put the gain at reasonable levels and you will be fine. The gain and EQ that you show on the clip would be IMO totally unusable in any playing situation.

Any amp with the input gain and master cranked up, along with some of the EQ in extreme setting will result in noise.

9. Jumamoro

Jumamoro

Apr 8, 2007
    Miami FL

Thanks for your comments, I will to try to set the EQ as flat as possible.

10. Just to be clear, there is no problem tweaking that EQ off of flat.. that's what it is for. However, extreme settings (i.e., any of the knobs really cranked or cut to the max) is almost never a good idea on any amp with 'active' EQ like the Walter.

I think you will be fine, and again, I'm pretty sure the noise issue was a result of your extreme gain levels and some of the EQ settings.

In all the years I used a Walter, I typically just added a touch of low end (1 o'clock at the most) and let 'er rip!

Set your input gain between around 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock, depending on how hot your bass output is, and then just use the master to control your volume. It will sound great!