1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Walter Woods Repair needed / contact info.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tsarter, Jun 13, 2018.

1. tsarter

tsarter Supporting Member

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Hello,

Does anyone here know of a repair person willing to dive into a Walter Woods? Also , does anyone have Walter’s contact info. I no longer have it.

Thank you!

2. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I found his number in another thread but I still would like to find someone that will work on my WW Ultra.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    i would send it back to Walter rather than trust it to some arbitrary local guy.

4. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Yes. That’s ideal but it’s difficult to get a hold of him, assuming I have his correct number. There was an excellent local shop that worked on it previously but they are no longer. Mesa Boogie looked at it - my tech friend there was able to rewire power cord but cannot get into it further.

Hoping there is someone that knows someone besides Walter that I could ship it to.

5. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    You might have better luck asking over on the DB side of TB.

6. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Woo hoo!! It’s fixed!

wave rider likes this.
  7. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    DB side?

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I’m happy for you but you should fill in the details for posterity. :)

marcwhy and Bob_Ross like this.
  9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Yes. The Double Bass (acoustic, upright etc.) part of TB. You posted your question on the bass guitar portion. A lot of DB players have used WW amps so there might be some useful info there. Just look at the "Forums" dropdown at the top of the page and you'll see it.

10. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Yes. I will.

Four years a high power capacitor blew in a shower of sparks. Crucial Audio in Rhonert Park ca was able to fix it. The casing on power cord was pulling off around where cord enters the amp so they replaced the power cord as well.

A few months ago the casing wa pulling away again. The hole is a bit tight for cord - a design flaw IMO. Then it stopped working. At all. Crucial is no longer so a friend that has worked at Mesa Boogie looked at it. He was able to rewire cord and fix issue with small hole but it still did not power up so I posted here and tried getting a hold of Walter. Tech friend decided to check plug end of cord and it was intermittent as well. New plug end and it works fine now.

This has been my main nap for at least 10 years probably longer now. I love it so I’m very glad it is fixed!

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For the most part, any real repairs have to be done by Walter. All the "crucial" parts are made to his specs for him. Basic things can be done by most high end repair shops, but they can't get any of the major parts needed. When (if) you can get a hold of Walter, send your amp in and let him go through it and redo or repair anything he see's. He won't be at it too much longer and as of now there's nobody to take his place.

12. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA

13. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Not a bad idea. He was not wanting to work on it when it blew a few years back though. Still, I’ll try.

14. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Which model is it? I know he can't fix the mi 400-8 anymore. No more parts made. (power and something else)

15. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    FWIW there is a place in Berlin that works on WW amps. I haven’t used their services so I can’t vouch for them, but they seem to have a good track record. Audio Repair Berlin - Walter Woods Repair

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just spoke with Walter yesterday. I was unable to reach him by phone but he responded immediately to a letter sent by US Mail.

wave rider likes this.
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Looks like Berlin reversed engineered the circuits by studying the PCBs
    Nothing wrong with that, right to repair and all, but WW should release some schematics and authorize some repair centers.

18. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

This is exactly the reason I sold my WW and went with Mesa and Genzler. I was a WW user from about 1995 to 2010 and yes, they are excellent amps. The downside is Walter is a one-man operation and he's now prolly in his late 70s. What happens when he is no longer able to work on the amps? I'm pretty sure the company goes away with him - no kids to take over - no selling it, etc. WW has always been hard to reach BTW. If he was on vacation for two weeks at a time or longer, you wouldn't hear from him until he got home. From what I understand, there are no part numbers on the components used and no schematics are available - by Walter's design. I can understand that way of thinking BEFORE all the other companies making class D amps, but now they're everywhere. It took a long time for all the other MFR's to catch up to WW!! I remember emailing GK years ago and inquiring about making a WW type amp. At that time, GK had a little micro amp, but it was only 150W. I'm sure I was not the only one requesting a small high powered amp. I think (not sure) GK was among the first companies to come up with a high powered micro head. Just my $0.02.

19. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I have an M -800. It’s a blue light ultra high power.

20. tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Brian -

Can you please send me his adress?

Thanks,

Tim