Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanted: Recommendations for a combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rboyce, Mar 23, 2005.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey all.

I'm looking for some recommendations on a USED bass combo amp, preferably used, that can be transported easily (i.e. 65 pounds or less) but will still sound decent in small to medium sized venues. Basically, I don't want to have to drag my 95 (!) pound 4x10 cabinet and 30 pound head to every gig. Max budget: around $300 - $350, but I'd like to keep it as low as possible. Styles: Classic Rock, Alt-Country, Indie Rock, Post Punk. Basses: Fender MIM Jazz Bass, vintage Gibson EB-3.

Some combos I'm considering:
    Fender Bassman 60
    Fender Bassman 100
    Hartke Kickback 12
    Hartke Kickback 15
    Ampeg BA-112
    Ampeg BA-115
    Ampeg B-50R
    Ampeg B-100R
    GK Backline 112
    GK Backline 115
    GK Backline 210
    SWR Workingman's 12
    SWR Workingman's 15
    Ashdown MAG C210 (might be too expensive)
    Ashdown MAG C115 (might be too expensive)

So, far the feedback I've gotten is that people really love the sound of their Ampeg combos, espcecially the BA-115 and the B-100R, but their weight and relative lack of some key features (ex. no balanced XLR out) are not appealing to me. The combo that is most intriguing to me is the Hartke Kickback 15, given its relative lightweight (47 lbs), high power, balanced XLR out and good availablity on the used market. The Fender Bassmans are also interesting.

My hope is that if I can get a way with a smaller, lighter combo that's easier to transport, I'd prefer that. But on the other hand I don't want to give up too much in terms of tone. As far as features, an balanced XLR DI output is pretty much a requirement, but I'm not too concerned about other bells and whistles (scoopable mid EQ, built-in compressor, etc.).

Any first hand experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

P.S. Yes, a small, lighter combo would be easier to transport than my cab and amp head (my cab alone is 95 lbs). Duh.

2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Having the amp head and the speaker cabinet in one unit is easier to transport? :eyebrow:

3. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've got a Fender BXR 300C I'm thinking of moving. 300 watts, 15" cone, 85 lbs on casters...great shape!

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oops, I think I may have violated something...sorry 'bout that if I have, Mods!!!

5. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Yorkies looks interesting...I hadn't even considered that brand. Do people generally like Yorkville/Traynor gear? Made overseas, I assume?

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in the Fender BXR300 - too big, too powerful and too heavy for what I'm looking for.

But please keep those comments coming!

thanks,

ray

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Judging from what I've gathered from visiting TB, the Yorkville looks like your best bet. I have played both Fenders you listed and wasn't impressed with their tone. The Hartkes may be interesting but most people don't like them. You should be the final judge though. I don't have any experience with the others, but good luck with your search anyway.