Wanted: Strings To Develop Hard Calluses On My Plucking Fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mrjim123, Jul 4, 2021.

1. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    When I played in the 70's I had hard calluses on my plucking fingers. I no longer have those, but I miss them because they give my notes a more percussive attack, almost like playing with a pick.

One reason I believe my calluses disappeared is that, IIRC, I played stainless steel rounds back then, primarily Rotosounds. Now I play either nickel rounds or flats.

So, I'm looking for a low tension (loose) round wound string with harsh windings that i can load onto a practice bass, one that I will use for building my calluses. So, loose (low in tension) and harsh - any recommendations?

2. What helps build calluses is a combination of rough, abrasive surface texture and stiffness. Lower tension means it will probably take longer to build calluses.

That said, I would suggest Rotosound stainless steel rounds in one of the lighter sets if you want "loose and harsh".

eriky4003 and Spidey2112 like this.
  3. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ditto.

4. Get some extra course sandpaper and press your finger tips into it during idle hours.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021