warm cutting bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Mar 1, 2005.

1. is there such a thing as a warm cutting bass?

Basically. I play with my riends who play heavy stuff/Punk. and I need to cut through them and be heard... so MM Sterling is the obvious answer right? BUT. I dont really like a lot of highs/trebly sound in my bass. Thats whatdoes alotof the cutting though, so am I stuck in a sticky situation or what?

What kind of things should I belooking for?
    Around here we have....

Dont list any boutique stuff though :) I'm kinda hopeing to stay in the 1000 range. Would a fender jazz w/ a pickup upgradedo it? Ormaybe a Music man with a pickup change?
  2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have an ash-bodied, maple board P bass which, when strung with D'addorio nickel-wounds (.050-.105s), will do that very well. Depending on your amp and EQ setings, of course.

Edit: Now that I think about it, you can do that with a Jazz, too.
  3. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    My sterling (ROSEWOOD fretboard) is nice and warm yet cuts through alot. I'm running it through a warwick amp and SWR (Soon to be a Mesa 1516B) speakers.
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You can never go wrong with a P bass :bassist:
  5. +1 or get yourself a MIA Jazz with the S1 option.

I played a Fender Jazz Deluxe 5...it was nice and warm...and had a nice growl, too...but for me...I love P-basses...love them!....
  6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    The Sterling will do that. If it's too trebly, turn a knob. It will depend on the gig & the room, so don't overanalyze it. Go with a bass that feels good, but is versatile enough to adapt.
  7. fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Musicman SUB active.

Fender Precision, and think of maybe modding if you need more cut added, like maybe a Rio Grande Pitbull or Dimarzio Model J to the bridge. Not, strictly speaking, necessary, but :D what the hell man. Gotta live some.

Either of these have plenty of warm and plenty of cut. Either can be had/done for well under a grand.