1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

warm up ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beni_25, Apr 1, 2009.

1. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    hey everyone

i just bought a new 100 watt combo with 15inch speaker (it was a no name brand off ebay because i was on a budget). When i turn it on it has that crackly buzzing sound but after about 5 minutes it basically goes away.
    its actually a really great amp for the money but yeh im just wondering with the buzzing if it goes away after 5 minutes does that mean the amp just needs to warm up or something? Does anybody else have an experience similar to this?

thanks heaps in advance

2. Tube or Solid State? if it works well let it warm up then play but, 5 minutes does seem a bit much to warm up.

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi beni_25.

Your amp's noise may be caused by a poor solder connection in its circuitry. After your rig has warmed up, heat causes the solder joint to expand and improve the connection.

I'm not a tech though, so I'm only guessing.

Which amp do you own? Do you have its manual?

Details are helpful when seeking assistance in troubleshooting gear problems.

4. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    its solid state. yeh i checked again just then and it took alot less than 5 minutes this time maybe 1 minute or so.

yeh i have the manual also. it works perfectly fine after that minute or so

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Make & model? Details please.

6. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    its an no name brand amp off ebay because i was on a budget

its called - Max sound BS200. its got 100watts through a 15 inch speaker 7 band EQ , build in compressor, gain , enhance , soz i cant remember the rest of the specs atm

7. Hi.

Oh, boy what a brand name ;).

I'd blame the loose/cold solder joints for the crackling also.

Some of the cheaper end capacitors are also quite noisy when charging, but that shouldn't last more than a couple of seconds.

Did the combo come with any kind of warranty?

Regards
    Sam

8. beni_25

beni_25

Aug 13, 2008
    just the typical 30 day money back that companies like that offer hehe.
    the sound isnt a problem really i am fine with it taking a minute to warm up i was just worried if was a long term technical problem

9. Hi.

That sucks.

The good thing is that You like the tone, the bad thing is that the problem won't go away, but possibly get worse as a result of the vibration.

I'd get that PCB looked at ASAP.

Regards
    Sam