1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warm ups

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Apr 20, 2009.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    I usually just pay the major and minor scale up and down for 5 minutes to get my fingers warmed up but i was just wondering what are some other cool scales/modes/etc that sound badass and would make a good warmup? Either post the tab or just give me the notes anything will be helpful!

PS:The bluesy-ier or funkier the better!

2. xzzy

xzzy

Mar 6, 2009
    I find these warmups to be a lot more important:

Years of working IT and trying to learn guitar/bass have left my wrists in a pretty sorry state, and these stretches really help out.

3. Krowser

Krowser

Feb 10, 2009
    I usually wash my hands in hot water.

For warm ups, one that I have been doing a lot lately is really fast pull offs with my pinky.

Pick a scale, I like minor.

So lets say C minor, because I play in drop C (C G C F)

On the high C string, play this:

F: Pluck
    H: Hammer-on
    P: Pull-off

0--3--5--3--0--5--8--5--0--7--10--7--0--8--12--8
    F--H--h--p--F--h--h--P--F--H--H---p--etc..

and then back down.
    I find thats really good to wake up my left hand

One I do for the right hand is
    (I play with 3 fingers on the right hand)

10-9-7-10-9-7-10-9-7-10-9-7
    12-10-9-12-10-9-12-10-9-12-10-9
    14-12-10-14-12-10-14-12-10-14-12-10

That kind of pattern on the scale. Start out slow and increase the speed to maximum. No hammer-ons.

4. i generally go up and down in pairs of threes in different scales and modes.

and i also like to play c minor prelude and chromatic fantasy which i feel helps alot.

and to work on speed i play 1234 then change strings till i get to the G string then do it backwords back down, and increase the speed as you get better.

5. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    I do Victor Wooten push ups and alternate plucking at the bridge
    i.e. strike up and down with my thumb and quickly ( but still in time) switch down to the bridge pickup. I get wamed up pretty fast like that plus i feel like im practcing
    Oh, BTW, I do this al to the major scale