Warmoth alternative?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Dec 5, 2005.

1. I am going to be building a wideneck 6, but Warmoth doesn't sell wideneck 6 necks, so I was wondering what the next best alterative to Warmoth is (that makes wideneck 6 necks-or custom necks) I also can't break the bank, so nothing uber fancy and expensive.
  2. If you think about it, it's not hard to understand why Warmoth wouldn't do such a neck - the time and expense spent on programming and tooling would never be offset by the sales volume of such a specialty neck. That neck would only be bought by a builder - and not an inexperienced one at that - and not by someone simply wanting to replace the neck on their instrument.

There isn't anyone but Warmoth playing in this game at that level. If you want a neck like that, you'll have to build it yourself or commission a builder to make it for you. I would estimate a neck like that to go in the $400-$600 range.

Are you beginning to get the idea that there aren't any short cuts to building a quality instrument? You should because it's pretty much the truth. You can assemble a quality bass but building one is going to take one of two things - The fortitude to get the learnin' done to do it yourself or a wallet big enough to purchase all the things you want on your instrument from a professional builder and pay him a reasonable amount to do so. I've watched your posts and you've been all over the place with questions, ideas, and stated intent. I'm still of the opinion that a little more research on your part - and that's accomplished alone in the woodshed - will put you in a better place to have an understanding of these things. ;)
  3. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Not anymore, it just costs $$$, one of the few times you pay someone to do LESS work... :D

{it's $100 option IIRC}
  5. I had actually looked at their Gecko necks (those are the only 6 necks they have) but I don't think they are wideneck. Does anyone know what their string spacing is? I will e-mail their dude.
  6. Hey, I ain't started yet! I would hit the woodshop but I am bogged down with school. 4 Honors classes (6 if you include Jazz band 1) and an AP class don't leave me time to do much but post questions here before bed and/or during AP bio ;)
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Send a PM to Brian, He can answer most of your questions:

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Nut width: 2-1/4" (57.2mm)
    Width at 24th fret: 3.3" (83.8mm)
    String Pitch @ The Bridge: 21/32" (16.5mm)
    The suggested Bridge

Kahler - 6 String Bass Bridge

This bridge is made with heavy construction and advanced design features. String spacing is adjustable from 2 13/16 to 3 5/16 (71.4mm to 84.1mm). The saddles are fully adjustable for string height and intonation.

Not a real wide neck Warwick for instance is 100 mm at the 24th fret. The one 6 I built was 90mm and that felt huge.

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    They actually have dropped the price to a mere $35 ... at that price it's definitely worth it for a "sans sauter le reptile" neck (unless you like lizzards)

All the best,

10. Isn't there only one correct string spacing setup for a neck? also, what is indiviual string spacing?
  11. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Seriously..... since you are so well 'schooled', one would think you might understand the concept of 'research' leading to 'answers'........you can't get everything for free around here, at least I hope not.
  12. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas

I went that route with my Warmoth Gecko 5. Such a beautiful bass gecko-less. I don't remember if I ever posted pictures here of it or not. Probably not in the luthier section because I didn't feel worthy of these other greats :p

(However, just ordered parts for an Ashbory... so watch out! You might see a Demens bass yet!)
  13. I DID do research. I calculated that the neck width at 35" (the bridge-where string spacing is measured) would be 3.65" wide. I just don't know what string spacing that would make it. So dude, lay off. I'm going to PM that dude now.
  14. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    Ummmmm ... identical string spacing to the 35" scale Warmoth Gecko neck. But then you knew that cuz you'd done all the research and calculations.

It's clear that you investigated the string spacing detail ... but research into building a quality, playable instrument involves a whole lot more than just checking out one or two small details. Here's something to ponder: I currently have 16 templates just to make a double-cut bolt-on 5-string bass. There was a TON of research that went into their design and creation, research that left me making CAD and template models detailed down to .005", research that lead me to utilize certain types of template materials, research that lead me to utilize certain templates for a single operation and others for multiple operations, and research that lead me to utilize specific tooling to perform specific tasks.

So how far have you gotten in reading Hiscock's book? I'll give you a little tip: read it about 10 times, get out to the shop and make a little sawdust in the process of making a body, and then go back a read the book twice more.

A load of the advice that experienced builders/luthiers have been sharing with you - those parts about research in bass building, woods, construction techniques, and tool usage - will suddenly glare at you, and you'll come to a personal conclusion about a lot of things about the time you're finishing your first bass you've constructed from scratch. It hasn't been so long since I was 20 that I don't clearly remember trudging the same path you're walking now...

All the best,

"Evidence that a man is wise is not judged by what he knows, but instead by what he knows he doesn't know."
  15. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    And also, I have lerned that making a neck from scratch is not nearly as daunting as you may beleive, and will save you hundreds of dollars. The only thing I am not comfortable with is cutting the frets and radiusing the board. Both of which because I don't have the proper tools.
  16. Dude, you are yelling at me, telling me I need to research more, but you still don't have an answer to my question!
  17. If you play hard and pull the strings off the side of the fretboard, you'll want a narrower spacing. If you don't, you can use a wider spacing, up to the width of the neck.

A bonus with these bridges is that you can give it uniform edge-edge string spacing. What I mean is this: the low stings are fatter, so with equal center-center spacing, the actual free space between them is smaller than the high strings. Usually you just "deal with it", but with this kind of bridge, you can fix it.

Also, be sure you're looking at the right thing. The neck width and the string spacing are different. What you need at the bridge is the string spacing.
  18. bound

Dec 28, 2003
    Jersey, Baby!
    If you just get a roll of paper and draw out the neck you want, or the neck that Warmoth has, then place the bridge where you want it, then draw the strings where they'd be placed on those sized necks you can just measure the drawing. Draw the entire bass that you want full scale, and you'll have all the dimensions you need. most of us draw a ton of basses out at full scale before we get going anywhere. For some reason I jsut can't get a good idea of what the guitar will look like without drawing it full scale, so I've got all these giant doodles laying around. I usually make a template of the neck/bridge/strings and transfer that onto a bunch of sheets at once so it's a lot easier to work out a lot of ideas and compare them.
  19. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    you use the vague and subjective termonology "wideneck" in your original post - what is the standard dimensions for a wideneck 6? what is the standard dimensions for a narrow neck 6? If you don't know the answer, how do you know for certain that the Warmoth neck is not a wide neck 6 and is instead a regular neck or skinny neck or ultra narrow spaced 6?

and because widenecked is a subjective term (what you consider wide I may consider narrow or vice-versa), what one builder considers to be wide another may consider to be their standard. Just look at the differences between a J-bass, a P-bass, a Warwick, and a Yamaha ... which one is the absolute standard width? Look at a Smith and then check out a Steinberger ... which one is the absolute standard width? It's all subjective.

You need to take a trip to several instrument retailers and check out the various offerings. find what is comfortable for the nut spacing - and measure it ... here is the right nut spacing for you, and it can become your standard (your nut width terminology here) neck. Now take the same investigative approach to the bridge spacing on the various instruments. find what is comfortable string spacing - and measure it ... here is the right string spacing for you, and it can become your standard (your string width terminology here) neck.

All of this is called RESEARCH and is part of the process for determining what you want to build. Am I yelling at you - no, but I am beginning to talk a bit louder with every reply. You're in school (I assume college but I have severe doubts on this right now,) yes? If so go and use the research skills they've been attempting to impart to you and apply them to your bass investigation. It's not sufficient to sit at the CircleK and ask the store clerk what she knows about when the Mongols ruled China - you need to dig a whole lot harder than that if you want to build a totally excellent instrument. Real research takes more than a simple post in hopes others will look it up for you ... real research means getting out and digging up the dirt on every miniscule detail. For bass building this means taking a few woodshop classes or hanging with a skilled craftsman who is willing to share his skills with you, it means playing A LOAD of different basses and seeing what you like/dislike, it means listening to as many different electronics packages + neck/body/fretboard woods assembled as many ways as can be done and determining what you like/dislike, etc ..., etc ..., etc ... ad barfola.

A lot of folks on this board have been attempting to share some real wisdom with you - yet you constantly toss it off as table scraps while continuously begging instead for junk food and fillers. And just like eating at McDonalds, the junk food and fillers don't equate to solid nutrition that a healthy foundation can be built upon.

p.s. your question was answered in the first sentence of my last post