Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

warmoth body - neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Dec 5, 2004.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    hello

i´m thinking about ordering a body and a neck by warmoth

the body:

front:

[​IMG]

back:

[​IMG]

it´s a swamp ash body with a flamed koa top.

the neck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it´s a pao ferro neck

is it a good choice ?

i´m planning to buy a MM pickup for the bridge position, and a jazz pickup in the neck posistion

what can you say about my choice?

2. regarding the neck,

loose the white big fret marker dots. i think the top part will still have them won't they?

re pickups, I would rather have JJ or PJ. But if you like the driving sound of the MM over the growl of a J then that's cool.

regarding the woods, I would want to see that combo to make sure you have either enough match or enough contrast so that the two grains "go together."

I would get black hardware. Is the Koa going to be finished in glossy or are you leaving it satin or natural?

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    the koa top,

i guess natural looks best, no finish

4. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    does anybody has more info about the neck?

quality / sound etc.?

thanks

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Warmoth necks are very high quality and Pau ferro is a really nice wood for fingerboards. I dont know how good it is for a whole neck though.

6. JTGale

JTGale

Oct 26, 2004
    Hummelstown, PA
    I agree with NickMan. Pau Ferro is nice for fingerboards. Not too sure what kind of tone you would get out of an entire neck made of one. Would be nice to hear, though ... just to see.

7. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I think warmoth stuff is awesome...
    Check the search, there's been alot
    said about warmoth products, resale value, etc.
    I think it kills though.

8. Are you thinking of buying that very body off the Showcase? It's already been routed for Jazz pickups. A Musicman PUP won't fit and I don't know if Warmoth can/will route it for the larger Musicman humbucker.

I agree with what's been said about Warmoth quality. It's great, and I have 2 Warmoth basses. One of the necks is goncalo alves with a pau ferro fingerboard. I don't know how an entire pau ferro neck would sound but one advantage is that you don't have to worry about finishing it.

Try emailing or calling Warmoth to get an idea of the kind of tone you can expect. They've been good about replying to my emails.

9. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Beautiful Koa top! The neck looks great too but as others have stated, I have no experience with Pau ferro as a neck wood. It is actually harder than ebony though so it should be stiff enough. If your not buying from the Showcase I'd also say loose the neck face dots. You might also want to consider a Wenge neck. Very Phat and warm sound. I say go with the MM bridge jazz neck pup configuration! I built a Warmoth with the pup configuration and it sounded great. I went with Bassline pups and a Bassline active Pre. Very nice! :)
    I have a Gecko loaded with Bart soapbars and an Aguilar OBP-3 pre. It also sounds good.

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I was cruising Warmoth's site the other day and found these beauties... Warmoth's great and they keep getting better!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I REALLY WANT THAT SECOND ONE!!!!!!

There was a third one like the second but it was nicer and it's gone now :(

11. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Yeah, that one was reel hawt. I have a picture of it on my other comp.

12. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I just ordered a lefty ebony/birdseye maple neck, and am having Warmoth do the vintage tint and gloss finish thing to it. I have a fretless Warmoth rosewood/maple neck that is oil finished and does a gret job, but it wasn't fancy enough for me. :)

13. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If I PM you my e-mail, can you send it to me (or post it here for a day or so)? I was going to get around to downloading it but my laptop's dead, so I'm back on the family's desktop now and missed that one.

14. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Is this what you're looking for?...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. NIce. ANy w/o binding?

16. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    great woods!!! :eek:

You can t go wrong with warmoth wood parts.

17. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    No. Spalt tends to crumble on the edges in our production, so we'll only do spalt tops with binding. Binding on the forearm contour is new for us - in the past a body like this would have had a completely flat top.

18. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Sweet, thanks BW!!!! Glad to see someone from Warmoth on here. Those are the nicest jazz bodies IMO I've ever seen on your site (and there are a LOT that I've liked.)

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    WOW!

When the time comes for a 5 string fretless Valenti, Im going with a body like that.

Maple neck and Pau ferro neck or Ebony FB
    Nordstrand MM with an OPB-3.
    Clear PG
    Black hardware and control plate

WOW