1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warmoth built for slap?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rockwarnick, Jun 25, 2007.

1. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    I just wanted to know if anyone has built a Warmoth bass with the intention of great/a certain slap tone...I have a feeling this will go no where but I am interested in doing this soon so I wanted to know if anyone has. And of course if you have, please list the specs; pickups, preamps, body wood(s), neck wood(s), pickup spacing/placement, etc, whatever you did to achieve your tone. O yea, pics please!

So, who has a warmoth built to thump?

2. Well, you would want a Ash body, and probably a maple neck. A Jazz style neck would be great..

3. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    i got that already. im looking for pickups and preamps really.

4. 00Funk

00Funk Inactive

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Just my 2 cents.
    For a motown slap tone:
    Audere pre
    Basslines P bass quarterpounder's

For a Mark King slap tone :
    Status 300 board
    Status pickups

I havnt experienced a better slap tone than Status

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    it's all in the hands IMO

an Alder body + Maple/Maple neck + Nordy NP-4 + 250K pots + .047uf cap = all the thump and slap you could ever want from a bass.

Marcus would be a new man if he gave this combination a ride

there's more to good slap than the bridge pickup on a J-bass ... and killer slap tone exhudes itself from skilled hands thumping away on a passive P-bass

all the best,

R

6. icorn25

icorn25

Jun 7, 2007
    Temecula, CA
    hey.. ya i have been looking for the same thing..did u ever figure anyhting out?

7. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    well not here.

however, on the warmoth website gallery there is a bass i saw that a guy posted with information about his set-up;

" I installed Bassline electronics in the bass. I chose a at the neck position (SJB-1N) and a Musicman at the bridge position (SMB-4D). I installed the STC-3 Bassline pre-amp with a master volume (push/pull pot for slap tone), pick-up blend, mid-range boost/cut, & bass/treble boost/cut on a concentric pot. I also added the on/on/on switch to allow parallel/series/split sounds on the MM...
    ...I e-mailed Basslines and asked for some help in choosing the pick-ups and electronics and they were extremely helpful. I couldn't be happier with their recommendation! The slap tone is huge and the electronics allow you to fine tune several other great sounds without ever touching your amp. The pre-amp is also very quiet."

Bottom line? I'm sold. And I plan on getting an Audere pre.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021