Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Dinky J - any neck dive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassyBill, Apr 20, 2005.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I just bought a Dinky J body and wondered whether any TBers have any comments on the balance of these, or other light bodied Jazz basses (chambered, for instance).

I already have a Warmoth "regular" J with a Status graphite neck (fretless) and the balance is fine, but the bass is a fairly hefty 10.5 pounds, mainly due to the body which is just under 6 pounds. The Dinky J body is about a pound lighter than the first body. I'm going for a Status fretted neck on this one, with the same tuners (Schallers). Question is, anyone out there noticed any neck dive on J basses with lighter bodies?

BTW, My MIM Jazz weighs in at 9.5 and balances just fine(alder body, maple neck).

2. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Is not the shape, but the ratio between the weight of the neck and body. Body could by tiny made from Bubinga or Zebrawood and weight 10 lb.

Cheers

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My Dinky 4 has no neck dive and I have a HipShot D-Tuner on it also.

[​IMG]

Joshua Pickenpaugh likes this.
  4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I here that Hipshot Tuners balance well with the heavier Warmoth neck on a lighter body.

5. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    I had a dinky j with a warmoth body. Had BML light tuners on it. Did not have a neck dive problem. Body was swamp ash and neck was maple with rosewood fingerboard.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks guys! I know it's the body/neck weight ratio that affects this - just wondered about balancing a heavyish neck/tuners combination with a 4.5lb instead of 5.5lb body. I guessed I might get an answer from you, Nino - that's a great looking bass! If you're in the UK this week, come round and put mine together for me!

Any more takers for this one out there.....? How about those of you lucky enough to have chambered Sadowskys? Never played one myself, unfortunately.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I own a chambered Sadowsky it rocks big time, very acoustical unpluged with great resonance. :bassist:

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My black 24 fret 5 is chambered with UltraLite keys on it. No Dive.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's the shape and the placement of the horns and strap buttons as well as the weight of the neck and body.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Well to me a balanced bass has to be balances even when you're sitting down and strap buttons don't come into an affect, then it's truly a balanced bass. Shape does come to effect if you use a singlecut or extend the upper horn past the 12 fret to have better balance. But he's talking about J body shape.

Cheers.

11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Nino, as a builder how much of a difference have you noticed between the dinky J and the regular? Is it a major size difference or more of a "tighter cutaways" vibe?