Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warmoth Gecko

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flag2Flag, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, i was wondering if any of you had or have a Warmoth bass. i was looking at the Gecko, and wanted a second opinion. please post your experiences. pictures too, if you got em :)

Scott

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
  3. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    None of those are really Gecko's... well, there is one with a Gecko neck.

Anyway, I bought a used Gecko5 as a project to mess around with about 6 months ago. I really like the way it plays/feels. I can get the action lower than my lakland 55-02 with no buzzing... in fact, it has been seeing far more time than my 55-02 lately for band practice.

One of the previous owners had re-routed the pickup cavities from the originals (and rather poorly I might add), so I straightened those out a bit and cleaned up the wiring while adding a battery compartment for the OBP-3 pre I added. Interestingly, the Geco inlay on the pau fero board is in rosewood, so it almost blends in in dimmer lighting.

Villex singlecoil soapbar PUPS, Hipshot bridge and tuners, Brass nut. Decent B-string, very solid feel... not too heavy. Overall, I dig it.
    ---
    c

4. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    here's mine
    flame maple top on alder body.. medium neck.
    EMG 45 DC pups with BQCS system.

enjoy!

[​IMG]

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Here's one I built a couple of years ago for myself but I sold it. Really nice basses and Warmoth quality is excellent. I wish thay made a 4 string (not the G4, a real Gecko).

The few things I didn't like about the bass weere choices made by me. Glod Hardware is too flashy (for me) and a matching headstock on a Maple board (to me) doesn't look right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That's funny, because I really liked that matching color headstock on this Gecko. Gold, yea,,, I agree w/ ya.

7. Could you guys tell me what your basses were like in terms of the low B strings? I know the Geckos have 35" scales, which are supposed to be great for low Bs, but I'm thinking perhaps not all 35" scales are equal. Thanks

Davis Goertzen

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The ones i have played were pretty tight , built correctly these are nice basses.

9. 4x4Given

4x4Given

Jul 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    This is cool info, because I've been thinking of building a Gecko 5'er too.