Warning: Gear prices are about to jump up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mastermold, Jun 21, 2021.

1. So says my Sweetwater sales rep in this morning’s email. Here’s a portion of the email:

“I wanted to personally let you know that we are expecting price increases on many of our brands in the coming weeks. These increases are due to shipping, production, and supply chain issues in the music retail and manufacturing industries. If there is a piece of gear you are on the fence about, now is the time to buy!”

I’m sure many of you got the same email. I guess we’ve been warned.

2. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    prices already jumped and lost my business for a new bass. keep raising, keep losing.

3. I would guess that everyone on TB already has everything that they need...

Maybe not everything that they want, though. :greedy:

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I'm going the other way. I'm going to slim down in every aspect of my life. Too many "things" hanging around my house. Y'all post those NBD and NAD threads though. It's fun to see. :cool:

5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Yeah you and everyone else on their mail list got that email. Lol

it’s called marketing. They need end of the month numbers and want you to buy now out of fear you will pay more later.

I don’t understand why people think their sale rep is their best friend. Like he cares one bit about you, your dog or what is wrong with your car. All they care about is what you spend. When and only when you get that are you no longer a sucker.

trickyric, SteffanB, ColdEye and 46 others like this.
  6. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    And those prices will go back down when things return to more normal. :roflmao::roflmao:

7. Good time to list my crap
    :)

trickyric, P Cheen, Lenny JG and 25 others like this.
  8. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    earth
    as said, i certainly don't need anymore gear. Since the price of lumber has gone up, i guess this means a types of "woods". Even the price of used gear is now up...Does it ever really come back down to benefit the consumer?....hardly.

9. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    They should go up. A lot. They should have gone up years ago.

In 1985 my music store was selling Squier strats for the (at the time) unheard of price of $199. Dirt cheap and superb quality.

In 2020, I can get a Squier strat of almost equal quality for $199 - or less if I'm savvy.

35 years. 35 years of no increased cash flow. Does electricity cost what it did in 1985? A store clerk? By God, you all bitch about the quality of service at Guitar Center. How the stores are understaffed, worked by idiots. Did a one of you ever stop to wonder why that might be?

And people wonder why music stores went out of business. If y'all want to have any stores or manufacturers left at all, you should welcome such increases. Because if these folks can't make money building you instruments and amps....they'll stop building them.

10. Creating a sense of urgency is what they teach you in Salesmanship 101.

ColdEye, MegaSwing, Burwabit and 22 others like this.
  11. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    This.

12. “Now is the time to buy!” :nailbiting:

13. tenor (46).gif

14. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Prices are already up,I'm sure we're just seeing the beginning of this trend. .....I had my eye on another Sire bass,but the new prices are ridiculous!

dmas81 and JRA like this.
  15. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Suspended Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Hmm. But ammo and lumber are dropping.

shoot-r, ColdEye, tommyr01 and 12 others like this.
  16. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Yup. A bunch of folks have no idea how business and the economy work.
    Everyone expects a raise every year, but bitch when prices go up.

adk teleman, dmas81, Mili and 11 others like this.
  17. RyanSaranich

RyanSaranich Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2021
    Charlotte, NC
    Endorser of EBS Amplification, Neotech Straps
    Fully agree with this. The biggest problem though? The money that gigs that are paying are still basically what it's been for the last 30 years too lol.

18. Less, actually. Much less, in US$ adjusted for inflation.

“A hundred dollars per man.” - a typical rate in 1966, wishful thinking in 2021.

19. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    It is true that pretty much eveything is going to go up in price due to inflation caused by low supply and high demand.
    It is also true that lesson #1 in salesmanship is to create urgency. Urgency typically is created by convincing the prospect that they will either pay more if they delay or that supply will run out and acquisition will be denied.

dmas81, RocknRay and GregC like this.
  20. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    And yet, the sales rep has a reputation to maintain. If prices do NOT go up as he predicted then it eventually makes him look like a liar. So, I trust him on this one. Sure, he's making a sales pitch, but take it for what it is - information that might be useful to someone who might otherwise consider putting off their next purchase.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021