1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick 5 string / 4 string P pick ups Q

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crispygoat, Sep 16, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    I was wondering, when you look at Warwicks with P Pickups, why is that their 4 string version has the p pick ups while the 5 string versions have soap bars ? On the other hand the 4 string basses with Jazz pick ups have jazz pick ups when turned into 5. (such as the corvette and streamer stage 2) Fender's 5 string p bass' have normal looking p bass pick ups ? Are the soapbars MEC's 5 string p pick up version ? or... are they totally different ?

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm guessing they don't make a 5-string P pickup stock, however you can get it from the custom shop.

What model are you looking at?

3. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    I am looking at the 2005 limited edition hot rod corvette ? i am looking for a tone similiar to a pbass or/and zender's. thanks

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I see... I haven't had a lot of experience with the MEC soapbars, but from the clips I've heard they sound pretty good to me.

The only way to get a P5 pickup from Warwick is to custom order it as I said earlier. That being said, I owned the $$ model for a while, and when soloing the front humbucker, I got a seriously good P tone.

If you want to go the Zender route, he used a Streamer Stage I for a while when going 4-string, but when he played a 5er later on, he switched to the Streamer Stage II. His Stage I tone was really good, but the Stage II tone was incredible IMO.

5. Sometimes under a soapbar there lies a P pick up. I've seen it before on a ESP Surveyor...

6. exactly, the dirty blond (ltd 2006) has a p5.

7. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    True. I forgot about that one. I think that's as close as you'll get to a Warwick P5 production model.

8. well, you can also get a CS corvette STD ash passive with a p pu and maple neck/board