1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick Adam Clayton signature passive electronics questions

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by burl0029, May 29, 2017.

1. I plugged in one of these at the local shop today and it sounded amazing. I was really intrigued by the passive bass and treble controls. Does anyone have any idea how these work? I'm very curious. I took a peak in the control cavity and it's pretty sparse. Thoughts?

2. It's this one, btw.

Adam_Clayton_RockBass_01.

3. rypip

rypip

Feb 25, 2017
    Did you happen to try it at the Woodbury Music Go Round? If so, that one was mine. I was never sure how the tone controls worked on a technical level. But, it was handy to cut some of the boomy bass from the QP pickup. They also cut some of the output depending on where each was set, which helped when running into a fuzz.

It's a really cool guitar and it's really comfortable, but I never bonded with it. Ending up trading it in for a new Fender Classic 50s P at that store.

4. It's probably done the standard way. One knob is a standard tone control, and the other is a bass cut consisting of a capacitor in series with the signal path, and a pot parallel to the capacitor.

5. That's the one! How much did they give you on trade? They have it priced at $800, but that's way too high for a used bass considering that one can be had new on several sites for the same price. Did they perhaps think it was a higher-end version?

6. I wonder what values they used. I'd love to mimic those controls as that thing sounded amazing.

7. If you don't have the same pickups as the bass that you played, then it would serve you better to spend the couple of dollars on capacitors and experiment to find the right one. If your pickups have a different impedance, then the effect of the capacitors will be different.

8. Yeah, my plan was to buy the quarter pounders also. I have them in my other P and they're pretty sweet.

9. For those interested, I was able to find the wiring schematic on Warwick's site. The mobile site didn't have it available so I browsed the full site and found it. I'm actually going to be dropping this type of setup into another bass as soon as the parts arrive.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    DevinWard369 likes this.
  10. DevinWard369

DevinWard369 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    I love my Adam Clayton! I love these M&V atlas pickups, so I had to put them in it. I Still kept the Duncan's for a different bass and they still sounds nice and full for sure. But I do like the three knob config a little bit more.
    Thanks for the schematic now I can do that on the other p basses I own also.

Attached Files: