Warwick Bleached Blonde Thumb or Infinity SN?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Aug 24, 2004.

1. I dunno which to choose, help meeeeeee! :hyper:
  2. m2600

Aug 23, 2004
    Moscow, Russia
    1.Warwick Thumb Limited Edition 2001 Bolt On
    2.Spector Rebop 5string Bolt On
    3.Spector NS-A2 4 string thru-neck
    4.Fender Jazz Fretless
    5.Yamaha BB405
    6.Warwick Rockbass Streamer Standard"

6 basses... You just can't get enough?=))

anyway, I think B.B. Thumb is better
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Blonde Thumb all day every day, twice on Sunday.

Mapley goodness - it's the lightest Warwick ever! All the things I love about Warwicks (neck shape, tone control, playability), none of what I don't (brass frets, wenge board, ton of weight). I had one, want another when I can afford it, but it had to go to make room in the bank account for the Fodera.

The SN models, while not bad, are just no match for their original counterparts... the semihollow Infinity LTD in this case.
  4. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I have to say that the Blonde Thumb is a very attractive bass but since I had a Thumb NT 4, I'd say the the Infinity SN. On the Thumb bass, what attracted me to it ultimately was the reason I didn't like it after a while. The small body was nice but with not much of an upper horn, it pushed the headstock way out and made it feel like I was playing a 36" scale bass.
  5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Just curious -

Why the two different user names...? :eyebrow:
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    who has 2 diff user names? m2600 was quoting nickthebassist and bottom-posted his reply.
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000

I see....

Sorry 'bout that.
  8. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    if you decide on an infinity, ill sell you mine. ive got one that im xonsidering selling.
  9. How much? I am selling my rockbass, yamaha, and spector rebop to get this beast(which ever it turns out to be, they're both awesome). Zongeek, where do you live, and howm uch would you be asking? (PM me).
  10. Neither .!!

You already have a thumb....

and I personally have never been a great fan of the SN

For me the Ulitamte Warwick is a

Streamer LX 5 Jazzman

Definitive warwick tone..
  11. Ahh yes, but they don't have one. They had a streamer in, but it didn't offer me anything my Spector thru Neck couldn't offer. There was a thru neck thumb, but I don't want it as it had no noticeable advantage over my thumb, and they had 2 rockbasses. A corvette and a vampyre. The corvette played beautifully, even if it was a rockbass, and it was incredibly light. But I dunno if it will have the serious growl I am after.
  12. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    How much do you want for your ReBop 5? (UK£)
  13. Jackson E

Jackson E Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2004
    East Nashville, Tn.
    You should definitely get the thumb. The only thing bad about it is the inlays on the neck (I'm just not a fan) but everything else is amazing. I would kill to have one but just can't afford it now.
  14. Yes yes, but I have the Thumb LTD 2001 bolt on(37th anniversary bass centre thingy). I am looking for approximately £475 for the Rebop(there's quite a bit of interest in it). I want it to go to a good home where it'll be appreciated.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    *cough* The 3 Band EQ makes all the difference. :cool:
  16. Not that I could tell matey. There was also a Rockbass Vampyre that seemed very nice, had a nice fat neck that my thumb could wrap around, rather than one of those shallow necks like my spector, which bend my thumb back, and hurt it. :(
  17. Anyone gonna say anything? How good is the top of the range rockbass?(the vampyre). I dunno what it's made out of and stuff, so will I be able to get the warwick growl? Will it be suitable for recording and gigging? I am only considering the Vampyre if I can't get enough money for an Infinity.
  18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    As far as I know the Rockbasses are made of completely different materials than their German made counterparts.

Most Rockbasses are made of alder or ash rather than maple or bubinga, they have one piece bridges instead of the infinitely adjustable 2 piece, they use stainless steel frets instead of bell brass ones, maple necks instead of ovankol or Wenge, and rosewood fingerboards instead of wenge.

Really, the only thing that is similar between the Rockbass and German Warwicks is the shape and electronics.

So when you look at all the pieces, to get the "sound of wood" that is characteristic of the German made Warwicks from a Rockbass would either be impossible or require LOTS of tweaking through amps/effects/etc.

If you want the Warwick growl it's not gonna come from a Rockbass.

BTW - The out of production Fortresses are the shiznit of Warwicks. No doubt about it.
  19. The fortress looks funny. I dunno if it's gonna fit in a heavy metal band, plus I dunno where I can get one. And also, the waarwick Corvette is made of swamp ash, and the rockbass fortress is made of swamp ash too. Would and overdrive pedal get me some growl?
  20. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The Fortress looks funny, but it doesn't have neck dive like other Warwicks. They're getting harder and harder to find.

Even though some rockbasses and some German made corvettes are made of swamp ash, there's still to many differences. The wood that the body is made of is just one piece of the puzzle to the Warwick growl. The bell brass frets and wenge neck are a key to sound, IMO. And for what it's worth, the ash body Warwicks sound much different than the maple or bubinga ones. Ash is softer and lighter than maple or bubinga.

I don't know if an overdrive would get you some of the growl you are looking for. I imagine a graphic or parametric EQ that boosted the right mid frequencies would help.

IMO, if you want the Warwick growl, get a Warwick.