Warwick cleaning/polishing etc

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nikolai, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    I have a warwick dolphin Sn5, and i was just wondering what i should do to keep her mint..

I wax her about once a month. But what about the frets? should i do anything about them? as theyre brass.. polishing them somehow? what happens if i dont? stuff like that, tell me what you do with your warwick!
  2. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Personally, I like how the frets look when they are tarnished, but if you want to make them shine, carefully apply brasso using a q-tip. I've only done this once, and I was very careful not to get any polish on my fretboard. I also treat the neck and fretboard with guitar honey.
  3. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'm joining the Warwick club soon myself and am also curious as to how folks care for their 'wicks since I've never had a bass with unfinished wood before. So I too will be watching this thread for tips.

Is spray like FingerEase safe for the neck/fingerboard? I know the bodies need monthly waxing, but it's said the neck shouldn't since the natural oils in our fingers keep it conditioned.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually it has a finish on it ;)
    Most probably oil-finish, or maybe danish oil.
    When you first get it, wax it a bit more frequently - like way it when you get it and in the next week, and at the end of the month. After that, waxing one a month of once every two months is enough.

Don't wax the neck, as you have heard;
    I don't know what are the components of that spray, but if it works on other FBs, too, then it should work.

If you want to clean your FB, apply a few drops of lemon oil on a piece of cloth, and rub the dirt and grease off with it. Don't put too much oil on it, a few drops will work. After you finished, look at how disgustingly black and greenish the cloth got, think about that was all on your FB, and throw the cloth away :D
    Doing this once a year of every few years is enough.
  5. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I wax mine with the Warwick wax that came with the bass. As for frets, I use brasso. You don't have to be THAT careful - using a q-tip would take forever! I just rub about 5 at a time with a cloth with brasso on it, then wipe over with a different dry cloth before it dries out. Doesn't have any negative effects on my fretboard! But straight after I clean the frets I apply Tres Limonas lemon oil to the fretboard, gives it a nice look and keeps it healthy. Smells good too.

I learnt the hard way that brasso does NOT work on gold...so now my bass has a volume knob that is gold with a steel top...hehehe. Use special gold cleaning stuff guys. Kinda a dumb thing to do. But because it is so shiny no one notices anyway.

When the frets are polished they seem to sound nicer for percussive stuff...and when combined with new strings - whoa!

While you're doing a maintenance session change the battery too (if it is active). I know they last forever but I don't carry a spare.
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    I wax mine every month, and for the fretboard/frets i use special Fretboard lemon oil.
  7. Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Dont wax the neck? ive done this once.. what harm could it do?

And the fretboard... Cant i just wax this? havent done so yet.. Some bassist i know told me to wax the entire thing, neck, body & fretboard.. he used to own a dolphin pro 2.. (though, regretting selling it)
  8. Shpongled

Jul 12, 2005
    Word, first post!

Anyways, I am glad I found this thread. I just bought a brand new Warick Corvette Proline 4 string, and I have some cleaning questions regarding it.

I received the bass about 3 months ago and I haven't cleaned it yet. It's Nirvana Black with gold hardware and Bubinga body and Ovangkol fretboard. I've never owned a bass with a satin-oil finish before, so I have no idea how to take care of the body. This thread suggests waxing it. Which sort of wax should I use? It didn't come with any when I bought it (should it have?).

I can tell it seems a little bit more 'dull' than it was when I first received it, and there is a nice shiny spot above the strings on the body where my fingers rub as I am playing.

I guess my questions are:

1. What sort of wax do I need for the body, and where can I get it?
    2. What should I use to clean the fretboard?

Any advice is extremely appreciated! Thank you!!
  9. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    hmmm, what happens if you dont wax body? affect tone? splinter? i dont mind the "aged" look, aslong as its all that will happen to it
  10. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    If you don't wax the body, it starts to look old and dried out. I wax mine about once a month also, and between string changes. When I do wax them, I normally put about three coats on per bass. And oh yeah, what's this Lemon Oil you all speak of???
  11. When the neck and headstock dry out, the possibility of a split at the headstock is increased. Over the years I've seen a few Warwicks that were split this way. For this reason I make a point of waxing the back of the neck and the headstock at minimum once monthly, and more often in the winter when the furnace is on here. I use the Warwick beeswax.

I also treat the fretboard with lemon oil as and when required... roughly once or twice a year seems to do it.
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm going to hop on here, as I have a Corvette Standard Fretless on the way. One worry I would have, though, is getting wax on the strings. How do you guys avoid this? Take the strings off before waxing?

13. I leave the strings on and wrap a piece of saran wrap around the strings (not individually, in case you were wondering) from the bridge up to the fretboard. This allows you to get underneath without worrying about wax on the strings.
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That's a great suggestion!

15. Simpy1,
    Try using toothpaste on the gold. Just rub it and wipe it off. Works great. I have a Spector (Warwicks Evil Twin) and that's what I use . . .

Mark F. Sanderson

16. TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
  17. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I use lemon oil on the fretboard and the Warwick bee's wax every place else. Both of my Warwicks are pre-98 and still look great. The thumb V has been to hell and back many times too, and it still looks great.