Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Corvette vs. Warwick Thumb.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ugly Cassanova, Nov 2, 2003.

1. I was in a music shop a few months ago, wanting to buy a Warwick, and I noticed the Corvette was almost exactly the same as the Thumb, but the only difference I could see was that the Thumb had active pick ups. I couldn't find any more differences, but there has to be some more durastic ones, because the Thumb was 500 bucks more then the Corvette.

Can anybody elaborate on this?

2. Does that exclude the major body shape difference?
    The Thumb has a very unique, compact body shape with a arched top and concave back thats easy of the eyes and more importantly rests nicely on the body.

Corvettes can come with active MECs also you could have been looking at a nec-thru Thumb with a one piece bubinga body.
    So if your looking at a passive Corvette standard compared with a neck-thru, active Thumb its easy to understand a 500$ difference

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The body of the Thumb is made from a different wood and has an arched top and concave back (also a different body shape). It also has black hardware standard. I'm not sure what other technical differences there are.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Beat me to the punch :D

The upper horn, however, could really afford to be several inches longer.

5. I agree with that. neck dive

I actually liked the compact body, last time I played one... which was a while ago.

Glenn

6. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    Well if you look closely you can get active pickups on a corvette. The upper horn is alot different, and i think the thumb is curved. I think the pickups are also moved in closer to the bridge and one can be at a slight angle.

I say go with the corvette-its what i am getting
    It is a very nice bass, when in bubinga. They say that ovangkol (thumbs usual wood)is alot heavier than bubinga and that is all i can see is a downside to it, becuase the wood is so heavy it may affect your playing

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All of the major differences have been mentioned. Did you actually plug em in? Did you notice any sound difference?

I prefer the Corvette over the Thumb. The Corvette standard (probably passive) is most likely going to be my next bass. (I probably wont get it for at least a year).

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah, it's sort of weird. A lot of people think that the better bass, is the one that costs more. And it's almost the exact opposite.
    I do however prefer the Thumb over the Corvette, but they don't have the biggest difference in the world.

9. I found that the Thumb could be used more for solo bass or slap bass because it sounded alot more toney and percussive.

And the Corvette could be used nicely as a backup bass, or in a band.

10. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I'll put in my 0.02

I played both basses a lot before I purchased my Corvette active 5. All current model German made warwicks (not rockbass) bolt-ons except the wide spacing and fretless use the same neck - so the thumbs neck is same as corvette.
    Pickups and electronics on thumb bolton and active corvette are the same MEC 2 band. They are made with the same quality.
    Its all a matter of preference - as much as I wanted a Thumb I couldn't handle the neck dive!! Their tones are different - the thumb to me seems to have an amazing tightness on the B - maybe more "aggresive" but I didn't like the slap tone. I opted for an ash body corvette - lighter and the slap tone was the best for me out of countless basses (I think the ash helps the slap tone) - and thank god it was cheaper too.

Summary - the bases use the same materials and quality in a lot of their configurations - totally a matter of preference.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well put.

12. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you have a pic of your bass? I still have never seen a Corvette Standard with an ash body.

13. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Well I didn't have a photo but I took one just for you ;)

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah thats strangly weird but cool.

15. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks! Warwick's website doesn't say that ash is an option on the standard, and I've never seen one in person or online, so it's been like a white elephant.

16. white elephant lol ive seen one . well it was more pink but u get the idea.

17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Nice :D ;) !!

18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Thumb baby. my fav. warwick