1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Hellborg 215?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe Louvar, May 18, 2012.

1. How does the Warwick Hellborg 215 work (the bottom cabs in the pic)? Is the downward facing driver and forward facing driver sealed in the top half of the cabinet with the downward driver facing into an empty (bass camber?) space behind the 4 big ports on the bottom half of the cabinet? Or what? What kind of design is this?

633517373400000000.jpg

EDIT: Note - no specs or details on Warwick website.

2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Depends on how its divided up inside. Is the outward facing one just a mid, in its own box, or they are both in a sealed chamber and thus isobaric. Or it could be some sort of acoustic bandpass like the schroeders. Or ports for the top section too and some sort of 4th order bandpass thing. Lots of scope.

3. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
  4. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Lots of words, no information.

5. Yeah, I don’t know and that’s why it caught my curiosity - and wondering how it works and what design (if any known) it is and etc?

6. Thank you, that is the most info I've seen about the Warwick Hellborg 215 cab so far.

7. I still haven’t found a “Direct Radiating Bandpass Cabinet” design - is there such a known design or is this something new?

8. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Bandpass meaning a speaker is inside a box with holes in, direct radiating means a speaker touching air directly. It has one of each. Both terms can cover a bunch of alignments though, so it doesn't really tell you anything.

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Hi guys, thanks for the question on the Hellborg cabinet. The Big Cab is a hybrid construction where the bottom part works as a bandpass, and the top part as direct radiating bass reflex cabinet.
    The bottom 15" is mounted on a baffle directed downwards. Both enclosures are vented. The drivers and cabinets in the Hellborg series are developed together by the R&D team at Celestion in the UK in cooperation with Jonas Hellborg. Thanks!

10. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Are the drivers sharing airspace? Are they same or reversed polarity? Does Jonas Hellborg have an engineering background, or is he just a pretty face?

11. Way cool - thank you Mr. Foxen and Warwick for explaining “Direct Radiating Bandpass Cabinet”.

This is what I was asking?

And I caught that
    but without knowing if the drivers share airspace or not I’m not sure what is meant by “Both”?

And this is a good question too? Thanks

EDIT: and thanks for the link Unchain.

12. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    There is a box either side of the speaker you can't see, I guess, so both boxes are vented.

13. LowB-ing

LowB-ing

Aug 3, 2005
    Well, "Both enclosures are vented" very clearly implies that they do not share airspace, right?

So this is my take on it:
    Two enclosures in one box. Top one is a vented direct radiating design with concentric drivers. Bottom one is a vented bandpass design with a single 15" driver firing downwards.

14. Mr. Foxen

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    The two drivers might be in the same top box, but one faces into the bottom box, and the other one faces outward into the air directly.

15. This is how I’ve been understanding it so far - but Warwick said "The bottom 15" is mounted on a baffle directed downwards" and LowB-ing makes some points as why I'm confused.

Warwick, can you help shed a little more light on this for us/me please? Thanks

16. Oh well, thanks all.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There are a few different designs called "bandpass". 4th order, 6th order, etc. The basic concept is, middle and upper frequencies don't go around corners well like lower frequencies can. So, by firing the driver downward, or at an angle, or into a chamber inside the box, forcing the sound to travel around corners before it comes out towards the listener, you can use the box to filter out the middle and upper stuff, sort of lowpassing the speaker without a crossover.

There's more to it than that, but it's the basic idea. In a cab like that, they would be using the bandpass to put bottom under the coax that's facing forward.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    That guy is standing in from of like 20 grand...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    He got his for free.

That's P-Nut from 311, BTW.