Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spectorphile, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Spectorphile

Spectorphile

Mar 8, 2005
    Hi guys im just wondering, does anyone know how similar warwick's bolt on necks are. eg Thumb bolt on vs Corvette or streamer Bolt on? I'm looking at getting a Streamer LX 5, but I'd really like to replace the neck with a fretless one, sometime in the near future.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I haven't checked the bolt pattern, but my Corvette $$ and my Katana have virtually the same necks as far as feel and playability.

I just checked, the bolt pattern is the same also.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Same size (except broadneck), I don't know about the bolt config, but W won't sell necks individually because they have the serial #s

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah you would have to buy 2 Warwicks one fretted and one frettless to swap the necks which is stupid...

They don't sell parts but if you have a messed up input jack or little stuff like that then they will send you a new one asap. Great people at warwick.

Just keep the fretted version cheaper on ebay so you have extra cash lying around and then put it towards getting a fretless one later.

I would recommend NOT getting a fretted corvette AND a fretless corvette because you should get basses that have a different wood or sound to them.
    I own 4 basses. 2 4-strings and 2 5-strings why don't i sell them and have one 4 string and one 5 string? because they ALL sound nothing alike!
    One is metal, other is blues,and my other two are for everything in between and more

5. I contacted warwick some time ago about getting a fretted neck for my Streamer Jazzman. They said its not a problem, but they will need you to send the bass or the old neck on its own to them so they can match it up, via your Warwick dealer. The email correspondance is below:

-----------------------------

Hi, yes, exactly....
    If any questions don´t hesitate to ask
    Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Shanghai) Ltd., Co.
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Manchester UK) Ltd.
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Zurich CH) GmbH
    Warwick Music Equipment Trading (Praha CZ) s.r.o.

Customer Support
    Markneukirchen Germany, 11.11.2005, 16:50

-------------------------
    I understand now, you need to match it up.
    I will speak to my dealer again, thank you very much for your advice.
    Best regards,
    Wil
    ------------------------------
    Hello,
    yes, of course you can keep your Frettles, but as we say,
    you will have to send us your neck or if you want your bass.. we do it only this way, but will
    get of course your Fretless neck back.
    With Best Regards,

Customer Support
    Markneukirchen Germany, 11.11.2005, 16:13
    --------------------
    Thank you for your quick reply,
    Is it possible to keep my fretless neck? I want to be able to switch between fretless/fretted if I decide to change back to fretless at a later date.
    Best regards,
    Wil
    --------------------------------
    Hello,
    yes, that it's posible. Plese tell your Dealer to contact our office
    in the UK and they will give him the Instruccion how to do that.
    You will have to gibe your neck (or if you want your bass) to your dealer
    and he will send it to us.
    You schould get Price and details from your Dealer.
    If any questions don't hesitate to ask
    With Best Regards,

Customer Support
    Markneukirchen Germany, 11.11.2005, 15:49

-----------------------

Hello Warwick HQ,
    A quick question - I own one of your fine basses, a fretless Streamer Jazzman 4 string. I want to convert it to a fretted bass but keep the fretless neck. Would I be able to purchase a fretted neck from you, on its own? I have spoken to my local Warwick dealer and they can't help me.
    Would you be able to help? : )
    Best regards,
    Wil

6. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That's :hyper:
    Maybe I can ask them to get a fretless neck for my Corvette 6 :hyper: :D

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Sweet...

Let me know what the cost of this is when one of you goes about following through with this.

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Me too, me too :hyper:

9. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Those pricks! They told me absolutely no way!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

10. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY

I'm going to do a fair amount of yelling about it, too. :mad:

11. Did you speak to Warwick HQ in Germany or your local dealer? My dealer said no. It was only when I spoke to customer support in Germany that I got the response above.

I think when I spoke to dana B goods before they said no too. Speak to your dealer and tell them you have found out that Warwick HQ in germany offer this service. You are the customer after all, if they want your custom they should help you out.

12. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I didn't buy it from a dealer, though...I'm going to have to ask somebody I didn't buy it from that is a dealer to do it, and they're all far away...

13. Well, that would explain it then : ) If you are in the US, speak to dana B goods. At the end of the day if you want it done they are going to have to ship your bass or neck to Germany, so I can understand why they are reluctant to do it at the dealer end. And I can certainly understand them being reluctant if you didnt buy the bass from them in the first place... :meh:

Me? I've decided its too much hassle. I'm gonna save my money and get a Thumb BO used off the 'bay instead of messing around with my neck.

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What a pity... I was really interested in how this turns out. Any ideas of price?
    I'd like to turn my Corvette into a fretless, and this sounded like just the ticket...

15. I would imagine around £300, but thats an educated guess... it would vary based on the materials you want. Remember, you could get them to make a Wenge neck, Ovankol neck, Maple neck, or whatever, with whatever fingerboard material you want. You can get the older, slimmer Warwick neck profile too if you ask for it (so the legend goes...)

;)