1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Quad VI - Good amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SN2351, May 13, 2011.

1. SN2351

SN2351

May 19, 2008
    Hey,

I recently visited my local secondhand shop looking for a backup to my amp to my Ashdown MAG300 Evo ii and I found a Warwick Quad VI sitting in the corner collecting dust. The price on it was $290 Australian.

All the information I can find on it is pretty old...any of you guys know much about this amp? Sound, how well it pairs with cabinets? Hell, any technical specifications?

2. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    Hey,

the Warwick Quad VI has 600watts into 4 ohms and a Tubepreamp.
    The preamp was also sold as a single 19" unit. It has a knob that influences the Tubecharacter in your sound, which I think was pretty handy. I played it two or three times and here in Germany (where the amp was built) people like warwick amps in general (except for the profets and sonics).
    The Quad series once was top of the line production, something you cannot say about the Ashdown MAGs.
    Try it out and buy it if you like it! It's pretty versatile from midgrowl to slap tone, but you have to adjust the EQ-settings to the "Quadrumatix"-knob which choses the tube-character.

3. SN2351

SN2351

May 19, 2008
    Sweet man I think I will give it a try if I can, and thanks for the info. I only own a 400w cab - also Ashdown - do you think this would run through it fine, seeing as it's rated at 8 ohms?

In any case, it seems like a steal if it's in perfect working order.

4. Lars_Vegas

Lars_Vegas

Jul 12, 2010
    right at the moment you pay about 400,- EURO! for one used here in germany.

As along as you dont push the cab too far it will work!

5. TBassEurope

TBassEurope

Feb 24, 2008
    Germany
    I paid 450€ only several weeks ago and I'm a happy owner.

It's featured by a Tube preamp & a small Tube poweramp followed by a mosfet power amp. The Quadrumatrix-4-position knob changes between two different electrical designs of the tubepreamp and again these combined with the poweramp valve. The mosfet-poweramp has got 600 watts, an is loud enough for everything.

The input stage ist not too sensitive, for getting a crunchy tube sound and an bit of compression, I have to set the gain to max. If you like your sound warm and crunchy and not too slim, you may enjoy the versatility offered by the Quadrumatrix (within those borders of the warwick voicing). I do.

Warwick's amp sound has to be described as warm and not slim in general, some people noticed difficulties cutting through the band mix in some cases caused by that sound.
    Muddiness is critisised by some, i think, that is caused by using Warwick cabs. The amp is not voiced as trebleless as an ashdown amp.

http://www.warwickbass.com/media/manuals/Quad/QuadVI_DE.pdf
    http://www.warwickbass.com/media/manuals/Quad/QUADVI_diagramS2.pdf