1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick/Sandberg bridge 5 string maximum spacing?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Scapal Wedeldi, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Scapal Wedeldi

Scapal Wedeldi

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi there,

I'm building a five string Jazz with a broken Fender Deluxe neck I bought cheap and repaired, and a homemade hard ash body. Got a Goldo bridge along with it, but I don't like the narrow sting spacing (17mm now). Spacing adjustability is really minimal, and I'd like to get to 19mm (3/4 inch). I could make some massive saddles myself to get rid of the height adjusting screws and have more spacing choice, but that would mean I lose the easy height fine-tuning possibility. I don't like that idea too much.

I'm considering a Warwick bridge, as I guess it should be good quality, and the price is decent (Babicz eg is out of my reach). This one to be precise:
    http://www.thomann.de/be/warwick_bridge_30126_5g.htm
    (Sorry, I don't know how to upload a picture here...)

Now, apparently the standard spacing on Warwick 5's is 16.50mm, which doesn't solve my problem at all, but looking at the pic it seems the spacing is reasonably adjustable.

Can anyone here tell me the maximum spacing that can be reached with this bridge? I'd be most thankful.
    I emailed Thomann, and I'm gonna mail Warwick too, but I'd like to have several opinions (and preferably from realworld users), before I shell out the cash and end up with another bridge I don't really like...

Another option, and I like it even more (no routing, one piece), is this Sandberg bridge:
    http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/.../Sandberg-Bridge-5-chrome-/art-BAS0004216-000

Spacing is adjustable by turning the rollers, but nowhere can I find the measurements (minimum or maximum, the standard seems to be 16.9mm).
    Could anybody here help me with this one?

Also, any advice regarding the choice between the two (tone, build quality, etc...) would be much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!

Cheers, Pascal

2. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    The maximum I could achieve with the standard Warwick bridge is about 17.25mm. Let's say just over 17.
    But Warwick also has the "broad neck" models which have a 20mm bridge. Not sure though if you could adjust it down to 19.

3. Scapal Wedeldi

Scapal Wedeldi

Dec 9, 2011
    Thanks mate!

That's some valuable information!
    So the Warwick bridge is disqualified.

Anybody got a Sandberg fiver to give me the scope of the bridge?
    This type:
    http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/.../Sandberg-Bridge-5-chrome-/art-BAS0004216-000

Minimum to maximum would be nice...
    But I'll be glad to hear about the standard spacing if it's too much hassle detuning and messing up the settings...

Cheers, Pascal