1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Warwick = Soon to be Korean Made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zentner, May 18, 2010.

1. Hey all,

Just received this e-mail regarding the German made Warwick products. I work at a music retailer, and it looks like it's all going to Korea! WHAT?!

Anyone hear about this?

Cheers all!

Kevin

2. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    oboy.. think of the prices for german made Warwick basses 20 years from now.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Yes this has already been announced, it's on Warwick's main page.

4. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sigh. I guess it's good that I never really dug Warwick basses.

5. ColeR91

ColeR91

Apr 27, 2009
    This is very negative to hear as I'm saving up for my custom shop Stage II... Do you think they've stopped taking orders?

6. Aah, I didn't realize that.

I'm not big into the warwick stuff anyways, so I won't be losing any sleep. I just thought I'd mention it for anyone who hadn't heard.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Something tells me we won't see a price drop on new Warwick basses, though.

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Their better basses will still be made in Germany, right?

9. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Can't drop prices, that'd be an admission of quality drop.

Unless they maintain both facilities and jack DE made prices.

10. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ

Jun 1, 2009
    New Jersey
    The fit, finish, and playability on the german ones seem kind of hit or miss anyway. I bet the Korean ones will be more consistent. If they continue using nice wood like Wenge necks and bubinga they will still be fairly unique and boutique-like.

11. Tonegasm

Tonegasm

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    So I'm guessing I should hold onto my German-made Thumb for the future? ($$$)

12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I'm surprised that, even at some of those high prices for the custom models, Warwick couldn't make a go at it with German made basses. High priced labor, I guess, strikes again.

I bet the Korean made ones are indistinguishable from the German. And maybe more consistent.

13. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    I like a lot of Korean manu'd products (not just in the music world). There's a pride in craftsmanship in many of their companies. Hopefully Warwick partners with a good one.

14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    My girlfriend was made in Korea and turned out pretty good, so why can't my basses? :p ...I'm kidding of course. I never really liked Warwicks in the first place.

15. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    they mistreat their workers in germany.
    afaik no union allowed, a lot of overtime and a very bad sallary... (there was an article in a german news paper)

now due the "difficult" times, they have finally a reason to relocalize their company (and make more profit)... and no one cares any longer about the workers...

16. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    No way. =[ This means I will never have the chance to get my gorgeous Infinity. I hope they leave a hand full of workers in Germany at least. Even if they become super rare, I need my German Warwick Infinity.

17. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Sign of the times.

Or who knows... maybe they want a higher overheard?

But Hm..... a move like this Sunk KRAMER Back in the day.... hmmmmm. ;)

18. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I'm sure the German workers are better-paid and treated than the Koreans. It's all relative.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I've been nothing but impressed by Korean made basses. The MIK lakelands 8 years or so ago were amazing. Korea isn't like you see in MASH......really.