Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick streamer stage 1 or 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basslag13, Apr 16, 2005.

1. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Stage I: all maple, punch, bite, clarity; 20 mm spacing
    Stage II: afzelia => even heavier; the ones I've heard had a strong low and low-mid range, punchy and growly and in-your-face, yet it has some smoothness to it...
    The best way to decide is still to check for yourself.

Trying to find one used can save you more money, though.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Doesn't the Stage II also have the concave back, like the Thumbs? That would be a hugh difference as well, at least for me.

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes.

And their words on tone:

5. The Streamer Stage I, Streamer Stage II, Streamer LX, and Streamer Jazzman all have concave tops and backs.

The woods on the Stage II will give a little more of the tone basslab13 is looking for, I think. However, whether it's "worth the extra money" is a very subjective call based on your own budget, and whether you personally like the sound of the Stage II better.

Mike

6. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    yeah i hope to be able to try both of them at guitar center and then look for a used one to buy.

7. The SS2 is one of the few basses I'd throw down alot of cash on without having tried it. It has been leading the pack of my GAS list ever since I started playing bass. Maybe one day I'll own one.

8. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    I'd go with the Stage II. It's actually the next bass I want... :)

9. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, I used to like the Stage II better, but now, I may prefer the string spacing better on the Stage I. The tone between the two is pretty different, so you need to do your homework. I would strongly recommend upgrading electronics on either model as well. The Duncan Basslines stuff works really well with those basses. If I were to make my perfect Warwick though, it would be a Stage body style with a Bubinga body and a Maple/Bubinga neck w/ a Wenge board, 20mm spacing at the bridge, and Basslines soapbars and the STC 3-band pre. How's that for a dream Warwick!

10. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Stuart Zender (bassist of Jamiroquai before Nick Fyffe) used to use a SS2.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And an LX
    And a custom LX 8
    And one of the first Thumb BBs
    And... ;)

12. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    On the 4s, they are the same, but the SSII 5 has only 16,5 mm (though adjustable), while the SSI 5 & 6 have 20 mm.
    (Actually, for me that would be the other way: 20 is too wide for me; 17 works just right - and I slap a lot!)

As for your dream bass, there's still Custom Shop, but prepare to mortgage you house if you want to get it :smug:

13. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Yeah, the Warwick Custom Shop pricings are rediculous!
    My buddy was going to become a Warwick endorsed player, and I had him look into the price of what I wanted to do with a bass at that time, and let's just say that even with his discount (without giving the amount, let's just say it was a sizable discount lower than what dealers would pay!), the price was exorbitant!
    I've since moved away from Warwicks, but I still like the woods that were used, so I try to have smaller builders recreate the original Warwick sound that are more to my taste, and it has turned out better this way!

14. rushrocks

rushrocks

Apr 15, 2005
    Philly
    i think the prices that most custom shops or "high end" shops are pathetic..i would never be stupid enough to pray those prices when i can find an identical one for 1/3 the price..

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, I know.

16. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Must have been the Streamer standard I was thinking of...

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    So did Mike Chapman with Garth Brooks. Great sounds, I've always wanted a stage 2.