Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I recently picked up a Warwick Streamer Stage I five string. I'm, of course, going to wait awhile before I decide on making any changes to it. However, I want to start doing some homework on it. It's a 1999 model, with the brass nut (yay!) and SD basslines pickups. The wide string spacing comes standard on the streamer stage I. So, the SD pickups are pretty long, ~4.25" long. I believe that it has the stock MEC 3-band pre-amp, which is wired 18 volt. Overall is sounds OK so far. It is obvious that I need to spend more time with it to figure out what it can and can't do. I would, however, characterize the sound as somewhat choked. The pre-amp frequency centers are a little odd too, specially the trebble control. Maybe I'm a little spoiled by my MTD :)

Has anyone replaced the pickups in their streamer stage I? What about the pre? Which pickups fit? Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The control cavities for all Warwicks are the same, and the SD preamp is probably the largest one of all in terms of space. You should be able to fit most pres in there. I have managed to fit a Bartolini, EMG, and Aguilar in my Warwicks.

The sound of the pres are a matter of taste. But, regardless of preamp, the Warwick will still maintain much of it's characteristic sound.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Congrats on the new acquisition! My SSI5 is similar enough to yours. I've left mine stock so I can't comment on replacement electronics. I agree with Jong that the cavity is large enough to hold just about any pre. However the Duncan soapbars do seem to have an unusual size (the EMG soaps seem to be the most common shape these days). I have no idea of a direct replacement for those pups.

You should be able to tell what pre you have by popping open the control cover. Some of the components on my pre are stamped "MEC". Not sure what the Duncan pre looks like... but I'm pretty sure that the push-pull function is slap contour on the Duncan (it engages passive mode on the MEC).

4. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Just an FYI in case you didn't know, you can adjust the string spacing on a Warwick Bridge

5. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    You are correct, the push/pull on the Duncan is a slap contour control. It will cut the mids when engaged.

6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, my push-pull is active/passive. It's probably the MEC. We should hook up somewhere and compare the SSIs. Mine is in serious need of a cleaning and setup, but the price was right :)

7. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I really like the 20mm. I find the spacing and neck to be more comfortable than my MTD 535. Seriously! I think it is because of the 34" scale, though.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I just noticed your comment that the SSI5 sounds choked compared to the 535. Could be for a lot of reasons, but my thought is that pickup location is the most likely: the soaps on the SSI5 are both closer to the bridge than the ones on the 535. I rarely use the bridge pup on my SSI... has plenty of growl with the neck pup alone. Also, the SSI is all maple, and has neck-through construction.

9. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    My SSI is now gutted while I sand it down and refinish (wax) it. Now is the time to change pickups and pre if I am going to do it.

So, what would you do? Keep the old stuff (MEC pre + Basslines pickups), switch preamps, or switch pre + pickups. Any suggestion welcome.

10. I'm curious, are the Basslines active or passive?

11. I personally would keep the pickups and try the basslines 3 band preamp. While you have the seymour duncan pickups in there, you may as well try their preamp. If you like it, then you didnt have to spend on pickups and preamp.

12. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd be more inclined to replace the MEC preamp than the pickups. I've had issues with MEC preamps dying, so I'd feel safer with a different one in there. Either way, I'd only change one thing at a time. The duncan preamp is perfectly good.

13. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I think the basslines pickups are active. Actually, I think the pickups are the ASB-5 pickups (4.25" long).

I think I've had the duncan pre in one bass before, a Warrior. I didn't much like the tone of that bass, but it was the MM pickup, not soapbars. Perhaps I'll give that one a try. I was thinking about the Aguilar OBP-3 as well, but I'm not sure I could configure it for a 4 hole setup.

14. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you could use a stacked bass/treble knob.

15. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Yeah, I could also do a stacked vol/vol or vol/blend, and then I could actually get to the mid switch. Trouble is that I have no idea the value of the stacked pots for the Basslines ASB-5 pickups. bestbassgear told me to reuse the pot current in the MEC pre-amp, since it is stacked vol/blend with push/pull switch. It's pretty nasty looking, so I just want to replace it. Lots of connections already on it, I'd hate to have to remove them all.