Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Surface Finisher Wax alternatives ?? Any ??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WarwickThumb777, Jan 17, 2006.

1. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender
    I have a couple of Pre-92 Warwick Thumb basses..I use some Harvey Gerlitz products as well as the Warwick Surface Finisher Wax every couple of weeks..But I'm adding a couple more basses with natural finishes in the new year..Well..I was just wondering..Has anybody heard of a decent alternative to the $13.00 a can for Warwick's Surface Finisher Wax.Some of the stuff stains..others are kinda heavy and thick..or leave my basses finishes cloudy or dull..any help would be welcomed..

Thanks ahead of time

I have edited this..Because I used a size 5 font which gave Scott French a headache ??I guess. ..Scott made a comment..Then edited it..But not before his Echoe CERB posted a reminder..Just encase I didn't hear Scott's..I also gained a wealth of knowledge from Cerb's post "Any wood finishing wax should be fine to use. Just try different products until you find one you like."..Cerb...Man ..why didn't I think of that??? Grandon-"The Bass Kahuna" Thanks for your reply and offer..Next time I'm playing Colorado..Your on the list

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
  3. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    As Scott already pointed out, please don't yell.

To answer your question, there are quite a few alternatives. I've bought different products from different woodworking stores for far less. Any wood finishing wax should be fine to use. Just try different products until you find one you like.

4. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender
    Thanks guys..I'll take a look into it..I think I've seen this product out at the Snooper's Antique Mall in Fort Chiswell,Virginia

5. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I LOVE the Howards Feed n' Wax enough that I buy cases of the 4 oz bottles and ship one out with each bass I sell now.

I first found it at Home Depot, so try there first. Fantastic stuff, great on fingerboards too!

Lemme know if you have trouble finding it and I'll be happy to send you a 4 oz. sample bottle.

6. WarwickThumb777

WarwickThumb777

Jan 17, 2006
    N.R.V-Virginia
    Registered Sex Offender
    Thanks for all the info.There's a couple of places on the net & Ebay that I can get 160z. bottles for around $5.50.So I'm going to grab some of them.Next I'll be looking for someone that can do work on Ampeg SVT's and refret jobs on Warwick basses in the southwest Virginia area..This place is alot different from New York or L.A..I love it..But it's still different.Once again..Thanks for all the help

7. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Sorry to resus a dead thread, but to save making a new one: does anyone know where I could get some of the Howard Feed n Wax in the UK? Or if there are equivalents over here?

8. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Thank you kindly :) Always nice to have someone's recommendation backed up by a gallery of beautiful guitar finishes on their luthiery homepage