1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb bass 1994, incredibly noisy MEC preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Laladala, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Laladala

Laladala

Mar 4, 2019
    Sweden
    Recently bought a used Warwick Thumb from 1994, it plays amazing but the electronics don't seem to be working properly. For example when I turn the volume knob I get a really loud "white noise" sound when it isn't either maxed or off completely. And the treble pot can't be turned from the 12 a'clock without it making a similar white noise. Anyone know what could be wrong? I have very little experience when it comes to electronics so I am at a complete loss.

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Just so we're on the same page..."white noise" is a hissing or "whooshing" sound, similar to the sound of wind blowing or water coming from a faucet...

I presume you are still able to hear the bass through the white noise, but it's not clear from your post. I also presume you're plugging into a bass amp and not (for example) a recording console and monitors.

Solid state components like transistors and op-amps can fail in such a way that they generate white noise. If that's the case, in most cases it will be simpler to replace the preamp than try to troubleshoot and repair it, in my opinion.

Laladala likes this.
  3. Laladala

Laladala

Mar 4, 2019
    Sweden
    Oh sorry, realize now I gave very vague info. But it's sort what you describe as a whooshing sound, not really hissing but more just like a weird wind type of sound. And yes I can still hear the bass through it, but anywhere that isn't max it would just sound hideous as it is very loud. And yes I am playing through a real amp, and the amp is working perfectly fine, and the bass doesn't really have any issues when played in passive mode (besides it being way too quiet). So you think it's best to just buy a new pre?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021