Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumb Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Keeaumoku, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I dropped in on one of the music stores here in Honolulu today. I had just finished my last sales call for the day, so I had some extra time. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular... you know... just curious to see if they had anything that might interest me.

This store deals in high-end guitars and basses, as well as good quality used stuff. Well... there was a Warwick Thumb 5-string hanging on the wall, so I asked if I could check it out. The guy told me it was used. When he handed it to me, I noticed right off that this Thumb is a neck-through! Oh, wow! :eek: I asked, "How much?" He said, "$1,300.00."

He set me up with an amp, and while I played around with it, I asked if it came with a case, or a gig bag. He said, "Neither." I said, "I'll buy it today if you toss in a case." He said, "Well, I guess you'll have to have a case then, won't you."

So I walked out of the store with a flawless (no scratches, dings, dents anywhere... flawless!) Warwick-5 Neck-Through Thumb Bass, and a really nice Ritter gig bag (they didn't have a case that would fit the bass) for $1,300.00. I was almost shaking, because I've been jonesing for this particular bass, but the price was just too high. I'm still in shock... but I'm definitely happy! :hyper:

Now here comes the question: in my excitement while test driving the axe at the store, I failed to even notice, until I got here to my office where my rig's set up, that it doesn't have any strap pegs (?) on it. Instead, where the pegs are supposed to be, there are what appears to be plastic "inserts" (?)... I'll be asking the guys at the store tomorrow, but I thought I could get some help from you fine folks first. Do you think the previous owner, who I was told, used the axe as a trade-in for a high-dollar Tobias, had some kind of "special" strap lock set-up?

2. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Yes it is a straplock. I dont kno too much about thumbs, but i do think that it could have come standard with the bass for my fortress has them as well. Please correct me if i am wrong. From all the raving about thumbs, i think that might just be my next bass!!!

3. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Jim Dunlop straplocks - very common, you can find a set anywhere and just use the strap parts. I used them for a good couple of years on my BO Thumb 5 with no problems at all, enjoy the bass!

4. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004

Thank you very much N*Joy... and you, too, mlu! Now I can go check with the guys at the store with a little knowledge in my head. ;)

I did sit and play with it through my rig for awhile this evening. I have a Bergantino NV215. Now I know why I've always wanted a 5-string Thumb! That B through this cabinet... not to mention the sustain... :D

5. One minor word of caution... because of the odd angle of the inserts it's possible to have a straplock fail on the Thumb bass. I was fortunate to catch mine before it hit the floor, and it happened more than once with different sets of straplocks.

Make certain that the straplock going into the upper horn fits snugly and remember to check it frequently to save yourself from a mishap. Oh, and congrats on your great find!!!

6. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the club! Post some pics of that baby!:)

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thank you! I've been wanting one of these since I first held one at a GC in Arlington, Texas, back in 1999 while on vacation visiting family. I called the guy at the store about 15 minutes ago. He aplogized and told me to bring it on down, along with my strap. He's going to fix me up at no additional charge! :D

I'll post a pic, but I have to wait for my daughter to get back from Tahiti. She knows how to do that; me... I'm an idiot! :meh:

8. Well done! Congrats. What year model thumb did you get?

9. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Thank you for the question.

I'm gonna let you guys know right now that I don't know kangaroo ku'kai about "exotic" basses. What I do know is what I've experienced. I held a neck-through Thumb in my hands for the first, and only time, back in 1999. That was after I had read so much about this bass. Way back then I got seriously hooked. I wanted the damn thing with all the passion of an adolescent lusting for the prom queen! Yet... I just wrote it off... settled my brain... told myself it was out of my reach.

And then... Wednesday, August 10, 2005... I found one that I "stole" for $1300US. Maybe you'll understand, "Geggy", it's been about 32 hours since I sealed the deal, and I still have the "shakes."

So... I'll rely on you, sir. I've looked at the serial number on the back of the headstock. The last two digits are: 99. Does that mean my Neck-Through Thumb was cut six years ago?

Mahalo!

10. Nikolai

Nikolai

Apr 20, 2004
    Most likely it is from 99, mine was made in 2002 and has the last two digits 02 in the serial number.

11. It does indeed friend, it does indeed. :smug:

12. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    The guys at the music store fixed me up with the strap-lock problem. So, I got to find out what it's like to play the thing standing up. I must agree with a comment or two that I'd read before in that these basses are "neck heavy." However... I don't care. I'll get used to it! :bassist: