1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Warwick Thumb Wideneck Six

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, May 21, 2011.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just saw a Thumb Wideneck Six for a pretty low price but I had very little time to play it. It had a nice action but very light strings. It had a wonderful neck but sounded thin. Can this bass generate some booty? If so, it might be worth buying even if it is heavy.

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i've never played a warwick that lacked booty. change the strings and i'm sure it will sound much better!

3. I owned one for a few months and booty was one thing this bass did not have. Doc, I get the feeling that we dig similar kinds of tones and based on that I don't think you'd like the bass. I also owned a Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5 that similarly lacked a really fat low end. I played a few Streamer Stage Is and a Stage II, however, that did have it. If you get some more chances to try it out definitely go for it but I'm just letting you know how I felt about mine.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1

I've never encountered a Thumb that didn't have a massive bottom end!

5. gscroggin

gscroggin Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2006
    CT
    I have exactly the bass (model) you're talking about. Next to my TRB-6p (which I recall you're a fan of), it's probably my favorite fretted bass. So easy to play and really versatile sonically. Excels at cutting through a mix though, so perhaps that's why you're thinking it lacks booty? On the flip side, if I switch to the neck pickup and bump the bass knob, I've got more low end than I need. It's definitely not a vintage sound though, and perhaps that's what you're after?

6. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Having owned a Thumb4 and gigged extensively on a Thumb 5, I would not describe the Thumb as inherently having "booty". IME, the Thumb is designed to have pronounced low-mids and a very cutting tone, but there isn't much there in what I think of as the "booty" lows. The Warwick circuit will dial in a large boost at 80 Hz, but it still isn't the same as my Corvettes were or Streamer, Spector, and G&L are.

That said, they're phenomenal basses for what they do if that's your sound. Only reason I sold my NT5 was because my Streamer Stage II effortlessly nails the exact sound I want.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go back and play it some more tomorrow.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    We are similar because I am a huge Streamer fan.

9. Thumb broadneck 6er huh? Dayumh!! I had a broadneck 5 string and that thing killed me; heavy as hell and a landing strip of a neck. It sounded pretty good but I don't remember bountiful booty being part of that tone recipe. The bolt ons tend to be more focused and punchy and the neck through thumbs are more full and sweet.

Anyhoo, I can't imagine that you couldn't get more ass with amp adjustments or a preamp swap. The MEC preamps are a bit lacking in some respects. No doubt that a broadneck 6 is a mans bass!

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah it never helped me either. Girls don't care about that stuff.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  12. Do you mean, that "the bass sounded like the clip" or that "the bass sounded like the clip if you can imagine hearing it in person?" I get the feeling that in person the tone from the clip would be thicker but I remember my Thumb BO BN 6 sounding almost just like the clip.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I sounded like the person on that clip when I slapped that Thumb yesterday.

14. Sounds about right then. You know, for the longest time I thought I had gotten a lemon because based on everything I'd heard from and about Warwicks up to that point, there was no one should have sounded so thin, or so I thought. Of course, I realized later that that's just how those particular models sound and that it wasn't for me.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If that's the sound, it may not worth the gas to go back and play it again. My Yamaha gets a much, much more useful tone for me than that Thumb would. Too bad the sound is so thin, because I loved the neck on that bass.

16. IIRC that was the last time I took such a short amount of time to decide I wanted a bass before proper research. Now, I put weeks or months into deciding exactly what I want, lol.

17. That neck.... my God!

18. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Well, yuck.

The Thumb is literally the exact opposite of what I want in a bass. I did read the positive Warwick comments but the Thumb sounds way too modern-sounding and lacking in heft. I apprecaite superior build quality but, man, in terms of tone, look and feel, that is NOT my style.

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may take the ride out there to play it again today, but I don't think I will like it very much. That said, it is very well put together, and 20mm spacing at the bridge is just easy to play.

I guess this is just a great reminder that the higher priced bass is not always the bass that will make you happiest.:)

20. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Sounds like you can cross one off of your list :) Warwick is one of my favoite builders, and if you wanted to check out a Warwick the Streamer series (moreso SSII IMO... SSI tone is a bit dull to my ears) or Corvette series might be more up your, and the OPs, alley... but I'm pretty sure Dr. Chese has probably owned one before somewhere in his promiscuous bass-owning past ;)