Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Warwick Thumbs and Balance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lyle Caldwell, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    My bolt on Thumb 5 has really grown on me. I especially love the neck.

But the balance is a real pain. Even with a big Comfort Strapp, it still wants to be more horizontal, while I prefer to have it at an angle with the nut about even with my left shoulder.

I've seen that neck throughs and some older bolt ons have the strap button on the bass bout rather than centered behind the bridge. Mine is centered.

For those who have played both styles, am I correct in thinking that moving the strap button to the bass bout would help the bass balance at more of an angle?

I don't want to drill any holes unless it will really positively affect playability. If it's beneficial, then I would have the strap buttons recessed into the body like the older Warwicks. The butt end of the bass would have two recessed strap points, one in the center and one offset on the bass bout. I think this would be aesthetically pleasing and minimize depreciation.

Thoughts?

2. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    my 1990 nt thumb has the rear button off set and i achieve the exact strap position you described with a comfort strap. i have no real balance issues what so ever. its just real heavy :D

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    My thumb bolt on 4 string is quite heavy, mainly cos its evangkol (or however you spell it) its heavier that bubinga, but yeah, your shoulders will get used to it...

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Lyle,

I had a second recessed strap lock installed on my Thumb about four inches above the original. It was done by a Warwick dealer and he did a really nice job. It did help raise the neck to a more comfortable level, however, it still doesn't hang like a jazz bass. I would recommend having it done as long as you get a pro to do it.

Kevin

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I agree that "neck dive" is a real problem with these. I have a neck through Thumb 4. I've seen 4" extensions for the neck side strap mount, but they look ugly. however, they do work. I got a wide strap and wear it high, and that helps. I don't think moving the rear strap mount would do much or anything to cure the "neck dive".

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    The higher you wear the strap the less it weighs?.. or is easier on your shoulder?

7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i have the same problem lyle. a good rough strap helps a bit but i'm also considering moving the straplock. the thought of drilling holes in my bass terrifies me though. please keep me posted on your intentions.

cosmo

8. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    The thought of drilling holes in your bass should terrify you.
    That's why you should have a certified Warwick rep. do it for you.

9. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    I just sent an email to dana b goods from warwick tech to advise me about this. I don't mind sending it to the factory in Germany if I have to.

I just saw a tape from some shows we've done and I noticed the strange bending of my back and wrists. I have to do something about this.

10. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    This is the answer i got from Warwick tech.

Robbert, there are a couple things you can do: put lighter weight tuners on it - Hipshot makes "Ultra Light" tuners. Or, a little more radical: put on a horn extender as some players have done. I will send a picture so you see what I mean. It's just a piece of aluminum strap that has been bent & drilled to fit.
    We haven't found that moving the strap location helps that much.
    Rob Busch/Warwick USA technical support

those extensions look awful. now what?