1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Was Jimmy Page a good bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Sorry if this topic has been discussed already but a fresh conversation about it can't be too bad. I know Jimmy Page played bass in "The Yardbirds", but I have no knowledge about his equipment, technique, ability, etc. I assume he was the typical "guitar player playing bass", using a pick, a Fender Precision, and whatever amp he could get his hands on, playing "OK" bass.

He had to be blown away when he hooked up with JPJ! I realize he already knew JPJ from doing earlier studio work with him.

Off topic kind of; A long time ago I read something where Plant (I think) was really worried that this newly recruited bass player (JPJ) was going to look like a professor, with a beard and smoking a pipe. That is so funny! I wonder what the outcome would have been if JPJ really did look wrong, but still had is genius ability. Back then looks really mattered.

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Interesting question. I'm not sure there's any recorded Yardbirds material with Page on bass. There's that one scene in the film "Blow Up" featuring them playing in a club (Beck smashes his guitar)... but I can't remember whether Page is playing bass or guitar.
    As far as Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, to me the question is this: How did Jones, the seasoned studio guy, feel about being in a band with a peacock poser who couldn't sing?

(Uh oh-- I know I'll be getting death threats for that one!)
    :ninja:

3. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    ^Yes sir you will haha

4. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Before the barrage starts, count me in ony your team. I loath everything about Plant.

Jimmy Page played Bass on some of Jeff Becks first few albums (as well as Ron Wood). Adequate.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I guess Duck Dunn couldn't get the gig. :(
    [​IMG]

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok. True story. When I was about 5, my family was on vacation somewhere in Texas (Amarillo I think). We were a large Irish Catholic family that went on road trips every summer. Whenver we would finally get to the motel, us kids would be in our swimming trunks at the pool in about 9 seconds from check in. This time, it's about 5 or 6 PM, we get to the pool and standing there is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...This totally cool rock group in their stage clothes just hanging out waiting for their gig. My older brother was a guru on everything about bands, and they explain they are "The Yardbirds". My brother is quizing them, asking them "If you're really the Yardbirds, what is your record label?" - that kind of stuff. I had never seen anything like it but I vividly remember Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. The rest of us only knew of the Beatles, so I remember asking Page if he knew the Beatles. I could tell even at 5, that people instinctively wanted to hit me some times. So then Page askes us "Could you tell us where the Ball Room is?" in his British accent (he had the coolest hair I've ever seen!) We were like...Huh, the "Ballroom?" The scary part is that we probably thought he was talking about the Ramada Inn coffee shop, and showed him. Some English guys can pipe in, but I assume he meant wherever they were performing. I especially loved my Dad's brilliant comments that "They all look like Jesus" and "They only know three chords". He HATED that any young rock group got any credit at all for being a musician, especially the Beatles with "Paul Lennon".

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Great story. It reminds me of one my cousin Bruce told me...
    He grew up in Detroit, and in the early '60s, when Bruce was about 12 or so, the Stones played at a local college or something. (This might have been circa "The Last Time", "Time is on My Side", etc.) After the show, Bruce went to a nearby house where there was a party and the Stones were hanging out. He vividly remembers standing on the front porch talking to Jagger and saying things like, "Well, good luck with your band!"

8. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    This is hilarious.

9. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I remember seeing a picture of Jimmy playing bass. The only reason he played was because he was abotu to come into the band on guitar and was playing bass while another memeber was being taught to play bass. Jimmy played a Harmony Hollobody Bass . a sunburst color with small white pickguard.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, so even when I met him, he was most likely the 2nd guitar player (with Jeff Beck) and NOT the bass player. Good info about the Harmony bass (No wonder he switched!). Thanks.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    For some coincidental reason, my wife got me "This is Spinal Tap" fron Netflix this week. Nobody else in the family "gets it", but I noticed *their* bass player smoked a pipe and *almost* had a beard - wouldn't have made it into Zep.

12. Tommythecat99

Tommythecat99

Nov 8, 2006
    haha thats such a good movie

13. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I've seen it a hundred times and it wasn't until last night that I noticed on one of their songs, "Big Bottom", both guitar players are playing bass, and the bass player is playing a double necked bass - just making sure the bass is covered. That is so hilarious!

14. that is the greatest movie of all time.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    How could you have missed that Big Bottom was a 3-bass song??

The greatest bass anthem of all time my friend...all time!

16. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Don't. I can't stop laughing!

17. Heres a youtube link:

18. Tommythecat99

Tommythecat99

Nov 8, 2006
    ha yeah arent they both just playing the same part?