Wasn't Sure Where To Put This-Acoustics Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kat_Mia, May 23, 2004.

1. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    I have played the double bass for four years now and last year brought a Stagg fretless as my first guitar. I have just brought my boyfriend a Stagg acoustic for his birthday and have been playing on it but not being a fan of frets, I don't particuly like it. I love the sound and everything but I have the frets. So I'm wondering if a fretless acoustic is possible? I'm just thinking for the future, if I wanted an acoustic, is fretless possible?

Cheers, Kat x
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hi, Kat -

Welcome to TB. Not to worry, a mod will fling this to Basses before too long.

Yes, fretless ABGs are possible and fairly common. You may want to do a web search for Tacoma Thunderchiefs to see what they're like. Several regular posters here have them. (Mine's fretted - I need all the help I can get!)
  3. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Of course.

Never played one actually,but I know they are available.

You don't like frets??I agree with HeavyDuty.I can't imagine playing a fretless.You must be a DiGiorgio in the making.
  4. Kat_Mia

Kat_Mia Guest

May 7, 2004
    Dorset, UK
    A who? I'm not too good with names (if it is a name)?. I've never liked the frettedbass guitar. I often play my boyfriends but I'm so used to playing the double bass that I just don't really do frets.
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Yep, very possible. They can be hard to find though, and most normal music stores won't have them (around here, at least). Several years ago I even got laughed at when I called to ask if such a thing existed.

Actually if you're looking for a double bass-like feel, you might want to try getting a fretted acoustic and defretting it - that way the action will probably be a little higher (and also easy to find).

Unfortunately you won't find an acoustic bass guitar that sounds like an upright - it's physically impossible. Volume-wise, the best you should hope for is one that can be heard when playing with an acoustic guitar when unplugged (believe me, a LOT of them fail this test).

Resonators (the ones with the great big metal plate over the soundhole) are generally louder but they lack low end.

Never tried any of them, but people on this board seem to dig Tacoma, Martin and Warwick the most.
  6. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Steve DiGiorgio- God of the fretless bass and death metal.

Check out his site if you wish for free downloads.

He's been in bands like Sadus,Death,Control Denied,Iced Earth and Testament.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, Kat.

There are several companies that make fretless acoustic bass guitars. As Ken(HeavyDuty) pointed out, Tacoma makes a very good one at the mid price level.

There are others out there that cost less, but are a little harder to find.

Your best bet would probably be one of the bass only stores that sell online, like www.basscentral.com or www.bassnw.com

I am moving this to the Basses forum.